Escalation and Exception

Certified Senior Developer

Can anyone let me know the difference between a escalation and an exception in a process model.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Let's talk concepts first:

• any smart service in a process model is deemed to be a "task"
    • The User Input Task is a specialized way to request input from a human (a "carbon-based service" as I like to think of them, as opposed to "silicon-based services"!!)
    • all tasks need to be managed:
      • they mustn't be let to sit there indefinitely, so at the very least you should set a timeframe by which they should be completed, and then take action if that timeframe is exceeded (i.e. a time-based event)
      • tasks may also become not relevant due to a change in circumstances, and this too needs to be managed (i.e. a non-time based event)
      • management of tasks can be manifested by Exceptions and/or Escalations
    • Exceptions
      • a task that has an Exception triggered is no longer active. The process flow moves way from the task and the task is now dead. 
      • Exceptions can be time-based, rule-based or message-based events 
      • an Exception on a task needs to flow to the next logical step. This is often to the end of the process, but may be some other next logical step
    • Escalations
      • a task that has an Escalation is still active
      • Escalations are always time-based events
      • an Escalation might be manifested as a "nudge" to the current Task Owner e.g. via an alert or a message, or may re-assign the task to another user, or may just change the priority of the task
  • Let's talk concepts first:

• any smart service in a process model is deemed to be a "task"
    • The User Input Task is a specialized way to request input from a human (a "carbon-based service" as I like to think of them, as opposed to "silicon-based services"!!)
    • all tasks need to be managed:
      • they mustn't be let to sit there indefinitely, so at the very least you should set a timeframe by which they should be completed, and then take action if that timeframe is exceeded (i.e. a time-based event)
      • tasks may also become not relevant due to a change in circumstances, and this too needs to be managed (i.e. a non-time based event)
      • management of tasks can be manifested by Exceptions and/or Escalations
    • Exceptions
      • a task that has an Exception triggered is no longer active. The process flow moves way from the task and the task is now dead. 
      • Exceptions can be time-based, rule-based or message-based events 
      • an Exception on a task needs to flow to the next logical step. This is often to the end of the process, but may be some other next logical step
    • Escalations
      • a task that has an Escalation is still active
      • Escalations are always time-based events
      • an Escalation might be manifested as a "nudge" to the current Task Owner e.g. via an alert or a message, or may re-assign the task to another user, or may just change the priority of the task
Children