Escalation and Exception

Certified Senior Developer

Can anyone let me know the difference between a escalation and an exception in a process model.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi fathimazaharak,

Exceptions:- The exceptions tab lets designers create alternative workflows from an activity based on configured conditions. The exception tab appears on all non-event and non-gateway activities. We can configure the Exceptions based on Timer Event, Rule Event and Receive Message Event. 

Escalations:- It is like SLA when a task or process node is delayed for any reason, configurations in the escalations tab can automatically take a number of actions to solve the problem. We can configure a timer event and change raise the priority or send an Alert or Send a Message or Reassign a Task.

• Let's talk concepts first:

• any smart service in a process model is deemed to be a "task"
    • The User Input Task is a specialized way to request input from a human (a "carbon-based service" as I like to think of them, as opposed to "silicon-based services"!!)
    • all tasks need to be managed:
      • they mustn't be let to sit there indefinitely, so at the very least you should set a timeframe by which they should be completed, and then take action if that timeframe is exceeded (i.e. a time-based event)
      • tasks may also become not relevant due to a change in circumstances, and this too needs to be managed (i.e. a non-time based event)
      • management of tasks can be manifested by Exceptions and/or Escalations
    • Exceptions
      • a task that has an Exception triggered is no longer active. The process flow moves way from the task and the task is now dead. 
      • Exceptions can be time-based, rule-based or message-based events 
      • an Exception on a task needs to flow to the next logical step. This is often to the end of the process, but may be some other next logical step
    • Escalations
      • a task that has an Escalation is still active
      • Escalations are always time-based events
      • an Escalation might be manifested as a "nudge" to the current Task Owner e.g. via an alert or a message, or may re-assign the task to another user, or may just change the priority of the task
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Stewart Burchell

Brilliant explanation! Thanks a lot.

• Hi I am getting an error when I set an exception, I just want this node to be skipped and moved to End when its been 5 mins since the start of the node and its not completed.

Certified Associate Developer

Exception :  It let you to  create alternative workflows from an activity based on configured conditions.

Escalation :  It can automatically take a number of actions to solve the problem. An escalation can be configured for any attended node. Besides this configuration escalations can also be triggered manually, or by configuring an Escalation Timer Event. It mainly useful in Assigning Tasks after a certain time period of not completing the task by the Assignee.

• Okay found the reason for the error, the error was I just has to connect the Exception flow to the end node. It was right in front of my eyes and I missed it.

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Stewart Burchell

Thanks, a lot! for clear explanation!