Process model deadline configuration

Hi,

I am trying to enable deadlines on process models and it is not working when I test it.
I also tried to enable on the nodes inside the process, and it is still not working.
What I need to do is set a time for the user, when a form is displayed, to take not more than 15 minutes to complete the form or the form shall automatically close and end the process.
I enabled the deadline on the user input task separately and it is still not working.
Anything I am doing wrong? or is there another way to create deadlines on forms?

Thank you
Jean Michel Mendelek

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Firstly: Deadlines on/in Process Models are just measures/provide metrics. You cannot use them programmatically to take action.

Secondly: what you're looking for is the Exception on the User Input Task node. You can set a time-based exception on the node and when the time threshold is reached you can have the process flow to the next logical step in the process (note: this doe snot have to be the end node and you need to ask yourself whether this is the correct thing to do - if you'd assigned a Task to a User for a purpose, does that purpose go away after 15 minutes? If not then the Exception is probably the wrong thing to be implementing.

Here's a screenshot of an implementation that matches what you described:

...but be very clear that this may not be what is actually required. Check your use case carefully!

• I tested this and it worked. but I am using chaining in the process and i am afraid the timer will block the chaining.

• It won't block but you are now essentially creating a "race condition" - will the user complete the Task before the Exception trigger?. If the latter happens then the User will get a generic message from Appian that the Task has been completed (not very user friendly I know). I'm still not convinced this pattern makes any sense. If you're asking a User to complete a User Interface why is there a 15-minute time-sensitive window in place for them to do so?

• i am creating it just in case the related action was triggered and kept on hold without the user filling the form or submitting, I want the process to end so that there is no process engine running in the background.

The 15 mins is just an example, but it will be configured based on the business requirement

Reply Children
No Data