Regarding unattended Node assignment

Certified Associate Developer

Scenario: The user started the process and before process completes  user  left the bank .The sub process got errored because  assignment of  nodes is 'run as whoever started the process'. In this scenario , do we need to change assignment of that node to 'run as designer of  the process'. in the production and restart the instance , or any other Approach?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

My approach to this, is to not disable the user account in Appian. Assuming that you have SSO in place, that user cannot log in anyways.

Disabling account should only be done when there are no active process instances anymore.

Certified Associate Developer

I want to mention one thing. Whenever a PM is imported into a environment, the user who performs the import is assumed as the designer. In my project it is requested always to use "run as whoever designed". So, whenever a PM is imported to production they will use a service account user(a user who will never gets deactivated). So in any case we won't get any error.

Additionally I would recommend a post that may help your question: community.appian.com/.../run-as-whoever-designed-the-model

Certified Lead Developer

This is something that has to be more carefully planned than most newer devs realized, when there is even the slightest chance a process instance started by a user will ever outlive their active status.

However unlike in the older days, there's currently a reasonable work-around in case it does happen, particularly if a deactivated user is the initator of longer-lived instance that needs to stay active (and not breaking) for whatever reason.  Note that this workaround is only remedial, it shouldn't be something your process is initially designed for (but instead should be designed to avoid the need for this...)

Take the deactivated user account - reactivate it, but then rename it (particularly the username) to something indicating that they're a deactivated user.  Then I'll usually change the "last name" field from whatever it was, to "Service Account".  Then add it to the Service Accounts system group (and remove the email address associated with the account).  This both prevents the account from ever auto-deactivating, while 100% preventing the original owner of the account from getting back into it.