Subprocess smart service 'Assignment' configuration and lane assignment in subprocess

Certified Associate Developer

I have a parent process (lets say process A) and a subprocess called in it (lets say process B). The subprocess node assignment in process A is set as 'Run as whoever started the process' but in process B there is a lane assignment 'Run as whoever designed this process model'. In this case, on whose security will the process B will run? Similarly there can be a total of 4 cases mentioned below and I am confused that on whose security the process B would run?

1. The subprocess node assignment in process A is set as 'Run as whoever started the process' and in process B there is a lane assignment 'Run as whoever designed this process model'.

2. The subprocess node assignment in process A is set as 'Run as whoever started the process' and in process B there is a lane assignment 'Run as whoever started the process'.

3. The subprocess node assignment in process A is set as 'Run as whoever designed this process model' and in process B there is a lane assignment 'Run as whoever designed this process model'.

4. The subprocess node assignment in process A is set as 'Run as whoever designed this process model' and in process B there is a lane assignment 'Run as whoever started the process'.

For case 2 the process B would run on the security of the publisher of process A and for case 4 the process B would run on the security of the person who started process A (please correct me if I am wrong).

But I am confused with case 1 & 3.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Senior Developer

If its run as whoever started the process model, it will take the security of the person who initiated the process. If its run as whoever designed the process model, it will take the security of the person who lastly saved and published the process model.

I hope that clarifies. Just think in the same lines all over the place wherever you mentioned the same

If the node is configured as run as whoever started or whoever designed, it will take the same context and will run in the same way as configured

1. In your first case process B will be started under the security context of the user who initiated Process A, but tasks within process B will execute under the security context of the designer(i.e., user who last published the process model) of Process B.

2. In second case the initiation and task execution for Process B will run under the security context of the user who started Process A.

3. In the 3rd case initiation and task execution in Process B will run under the security context of the designer of their respective process models. If Process A and Process B have the same designer, then it’s the designer’s context. If different, each under their respective designers' context.

4. For the 4th case process B will be started under the security context of the designer of Process A. Tasks within Process B will also execute under the security context of the designer of Process A, as the initiator of Process B is the designer of Process A.

But I am confused with case 1 & 3.

Subprocess security follows the lane assignment in the subprocess itself.
    Process B designer's security applies if the lane assignment is set to 'Run as whoever designed this process model'.

"Run as Designer" in Process B = Process B designer's security (Case 1 & 3).
    Process B allows inheritance (no "Run as Designer") = Inherits security from Process A (Case 2 & 4).
    Process A: "Run as Starter" = Starter's security (Case 2).