I wonder if anybody stepped on something similar, here's the case:

I wonder if anybody stepped on something similar, here's the case:

Application objects:
                    User A;
                    Group A having User A as a member;
                    A process model (PM1) that assigns a task directly to User A;
                    PM2 that assigns a task to Group A;
                    A report (built from the 'Tasks for Group Members' system report) that shows all tasks belonging to Group A and its members, with a link to each task;

Scenario:
                    (1) Run one instance of PM1 and one instance of PM2 -> one task assigned to Group A and one task assigned to User A.
                    (2) As an administrator look at the report -> The two tasks are shown as expected.
                    (3) The administrator clicks the link for the task assigned to Group A. From the SAIL form of the task, the administrator reassigns to User A (using the 'Reassign Task' link). -> The task is reassigned
                    to User A but the task no longer appears on the report which is unexpected to me. Also, doing the same scenario but by doing the reassign using the proc...

OriginalPostID-150075

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• ...ess monitoring tool, the task is reassigned to User A and stays visible on the report.

Someone has an idea what's going on?

Thanks!
  • I am unable to reproduce the behavior in my environment. When the task is missing from the report, does it display after refreshing the report? What version of Appian are you using? Are you seeing any associated errors in the server logs?
  • Hi and thanks for your help!

- The task is not displayed after refreshing the report.
    - I'm on 7.9 cloud.
    - No related log in jboss1-stdOut... is there other potential log file to look into?

Following your input I tried more scenarios and discovered the system behaves correctly if I reassign to other users of Group A but I consistently have the same problem when reassigning to User A, which on the surface at least, is configured the same as the other users (same group memberships, same properties apart from last name and username). Maybe there's something corrupted about User A but I have no idea how to troubleshoot. Any clues?

Thank You!
  • As a follow-up on my previous comment I just logged in as the problematic user to see what's her language setting (same as the other 'OK' users: English) and then noticed the report now includes the problematic user's tasks. The act of login in 'fixed' the problem...
  • After some further research it seems that this behavior stems from the definition of the Tasks for Group Members report: "This report displays all tasks assigned to the group, but not yet accepted by anyone and all tasks accepted by any group member (regardless of original assignment)", which doesn't seem to include tasks that are Assigned to individual members. Though it is strange that this doesn't seem to be consistent. Is the administrator also a member of the group? Also, as the administrator are you accepting the task before reassigning?

Regarding logs, for Jboss this would typically be <Jboss home>/standalone/log/server.log or <Appian home>/logs/application-server.log, see here for more details: forum.appian.com/.../Logging.html
  • I can explain why logging in fixed the problem.

The group membership is cached in the engine in charge of reporting. When an environment is upgraded or a patch is deployed, there's a step to re-create the engine in charge of reporting which clears the group membership cache.

In a report that is supposed to display tasks for group members this cache is used to determine whether the user is part of the group or not, but the cache will be refreshed until the user logs in for the first time after the engine was re-created/refreshed.
  • Thank you for the detailed and clear explanation and thank you both for your time. Have a great day!