Regex Issue

Hi All,

I am using regex match to validate some values but after 20.1 upgrade system is very slow & appian support team is saying it is due to regexmatch. 

Can regexmatch go to long running process or infinite loop( no loop has been use to in regex ).

Any help would be appreciated .

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

One thing you could try to do to alleviate the problem is to stop using regex wherever there's an out-of-the-box Appian function that does the same thing.  You use it for email validation, I think Appian functions could handle that easily.  Phone number format could also be easily handled.  If you need data to be restricted to an integer, why not just use an a!integerField?  If you need it restricted to a decimal, why not an a!floatingPointField?

I'm not saying regex is bad; but it simply may be overworked because it's being overutilized.  Try limiting it to those use cases Appian CAN'T support without regex.

Certified Lead Developer

One thing you could try to do to alleviate the problem is to stop using regex wherever there's an out-of-the-box Appian function that does the same thing.  You use it for email validation, I think Appian functions could handle that easily.  Phone number format could also be easily handled.  If you need data to be restricted to an integer, why not just use an a!integerField?  If you need it restricted to a decimal, why not an a!floatingPointField?

I'm not saying regex is bad; but it simply may be overworked because it's being overutilized.  Try limiting it to those use cases Appian CAN'T support without regex.

Children
No Data