Format parameter of value() function does not appear to be working as documented

Hi all, I'm trying to clean up some very messy data by converting text strings representing dates into date objects. The input strings are extracted from various documents (using Appian Document Extraction), so the messiness of the inputs is not something I have control over and cannot be standardized ahead of time.

I've found multiple posts on this forum featuring recent recommendations from Appian employee   to use the value() function for this purpose, so it does seem like this is an expected use case for the function; I'm not trying to do something crazy here.

However, the value function does not appear to be working as documented...? This is copied directly from the latest version (21.2) of the official value() documentation on the value() function:

Syntax

value ( text, [format] )

text: (Text) The string of characters to be converted into a number or date.

format: (Text) The input format of the value, such as "mm/dd/yyyy".

When I try to test this functionality using the Test Input box lower on the same page (so it's clearly not an issue with my version of Appian or anything; this is directly on the Appian Documentation site linked above), I get errors and weird behavior. Some examples:

• value("31/01/2021","dd/mm/yyyy") returns Date out of range (31012021) instead of the expected date 1/31/2021
  • value("2021-01-31", "yyyy-mm-dd") returns Date out of range (-20210131) instead of the expected date 1/31/2021
  • value("Feb 7 2020", "mmm d yyyy") returns 72020 (an integer) instead of the expected date 2/7/2020
  • value("10-apr-2021") returns 4/10/2021 (correct, without even needing the format!), but both value("10 apr 2021") and value("10 apr 2021", "dd mmm yyyy") (with and without specifying the format) return 102021 (an integer) instead of the expected date 4/10/2021

What am I doing wrong in the above cases? Is there a list of date formats the format parameter accepts somewhere that I can reference? I've searched high and low but haven't been able to locate one on the Appian Documentation site.

Thanks!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Hi, 

Agreed!

{
    value("12/01/2021", "dd/mm/yyyy") /* This gives 12/1/2021 5:30 AM GMT+05:30 */,
    value("13/01/2021", "dd/mm/yyyy") /*This gives Date out of range (13012021 */
    }

I think it always considering first value as month. that's why if we give more than 12 in days its says out of range.

if you convert your data to mm/dd/yyyy this format this function will work. Lets wait for other's suggestions

Certified Lead Developer

I see similar behavior. Please open a support case and ask whether this is expected.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to gayathris0003

It also returns "date out of range" for this:

value("2021-02-23", "yyyy-mm-dd")

• This was a great excuse to build out a custom expression to parse loosely formatted dates, which I can see as something very handy to have laying around.  If you want to bypass the value() function with it's unexpected results, try out the code sample below.  local!dates has been populated with all examples from this thread and a few other different formats, from those this will return a list of date.

Disclaimer: Not the most readable code I've written :).  This would benefit from a few helper rules, but I wanted to get it all in one expression for a POC.  It can be adjusted for cleanliness, maintenance and additional formatting/delimiter potentials from here.

Note there are some assumptions as well:

- YEAR value will always be a length of 4

- MONTH can be either integer under 13, or a short or long value of text (e.g. "Sep" or "September", not "Sept") - can be expanded

- DAY value is always after month value if both can be either, e.g. "10-1-2021" = Oct 1, not Jan 10

a!localVariables(
      local!dates: {"31/01/2021","2021-01-31","Feb 7 2020","10 apr 2021","10-apr-2021","03 21 2021","06-FEB-2021","August 10, 2021","2021-06-15","10-01-2021","07/9/2021","12/01/2021","13/01/2021","2021-02-03"},
      local!possibleDelimiters: {" ","/","-"},
      local!monthsLong: {"JANUARY","FEBRUARY","MARCH","APRIL","MAY","JUNE","JULY","AUGUST","SEPTEMBER","OCTOBER","NOVEMBER","DECEMBER"},
      local!monthsShort: {"JAN","FEB","MAR","APR","MAY","JUN","JUL","AUG","SEP","OCT","NOV","DEC"},
      local!lists: a!forEach(
        items: local!dates, 
        expression: a!localVariables(
          local!date: fv!item,
          a!forEach(
            items: local!possibleDelimiters, /* attempting split on each possible delimiter */
            expression: split(local!date,fv!item)
          )
        )
      ),
      local!combine: reject(
        rule!APN_isEmpty,
        a!flatten(
          a!forEach(
            items: enumerate(count(local!dates)),
              local!index: fv!index,
              a!forEach(
                items: local!lists[local!index],
                expression: if(
                  count(fv!item)=3,
                  stripwith(
                    joinarray(fv!item,"-"), /* combine back to a common delimiter */
                    ", " /* remove commas, spaces or any other chars here */
                  ),
                  null
                  /* bonus prize, write any other formats to the DB for review */
                  /*a!localVariables(*/
                    /*local!write: fn!executeStoredProcedure(dataSource,procedure,{input: fv!item}),*/
                    /*null*/
                  /*)*/
                )
              )
            )
          )
        )
      ),
      local!data: a!forEach(
        items: local!combine,
          local!values: split(fv!item,"-"),
          /* gather some metadata here to keep logic cleaner below */
          local!value1: index(local!values,1,null),
          local!value2: index(local!values,2,null),
          local!value3: index(local!values,3,null),
          local!wrk: a!map(
            length1: len(local!value1),
            length2: len(local!value2),
            length3: len(local!value3),
            isInt1: not(rule!APN_isEmpty(tointeger(local!value1))),
            isInt2: not(rule!APN_isEmpty(tointeger(local!value2))),
            isInt3: not(rule!APN_isEmpty(tointeger(local!value3))),
          ),
          local!wrk2: a!map(
            canBeDay1: and(local!wrk.isInt1,local!wrk.length1<3),
            canBeDay2: and(local!wrk.isInt2,local!wrk.length2<3),
            canBeDay3: and(local!wrk.isInt3,local!wrk.length3<3),
            canBeMonth1: or(and(local!wrk.isInt1,local!wrk.length1<3,if(local!wrk.isInt1,local!value1<13,false)),and(not(local!wrk.isInt1),or(contains(local!monthsShort,upper(local!value1)),contains(local!monthsLong,upper(local!value1))))),
            canBeMonth2: or(and(local!wrk.isInt2,local!wrk.length2<3,if(local!wrk.isInt2,local!value2<13,false)),and(not(local!wrk.isInt2),or(contains(local!monthsShort,upper(local!value2)),contains(local!monthsLong,upper(local!value2))))),
            canBeMonth3: or(and(local!wrk.isInt3,local!wrk.length3<3,if(local!wrk.isInt3,local!value3<13,false)),and(not(local!wrk.isInt3),or(contains(local!monthsShort,upper(local!value3)),contains(local!monthsLong,upper(local!value3))))),
            canBeYear1: and(local!wrk.isInt1,local!wrk.length1=4),
            canBeYear2: and(local!wrk.isInt2,local!wrk.length2=4),
            canBeYear3: and(local!wrk.isInt3,local!wrk.length3=4),
          ),

a!map(
            raw: fv!item,
            day: if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay2,local!wrk2.canBeMonth1),local!value2,if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay1,local!wrk2.canBeMonth2),local!value1,if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay3,local!wrk2.canBeMonth2),local!value3,if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay2,local!wrk2.canBeMonth3),local!value2,null)))),
            month: if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay2,local!wrk2.canBeMonth1),local!value1,if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay1,local!wrk2.canBeMonth2),local!value2,if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay3,local!wrk2.canBeMonth2),local!value2,if(and(local!wrk2.canBeDay2,local!wrk2.canBeMonth3),local!value3,null)))),
            year: if(local!wrk2.canBeYear1,local!value1,if(local!wrk2.canBeYear2,local!value2,if(local!wrk2.canBeYear3,local!value3,null))),
           )
        )
      ),

reject(
        fn!isnull,
        a!forEach(
          items: local!data,
          expression: if(
            or(
              rule!APN_isEmpty(fv!item.day),
              rule!APN_isEmpty(fv!item.month),
              rule!APN_isEmpty(fv!item.year)