If statement and logic

Goal: John Joe(12/2) 

Breakdown:
Name: John.Joe (User picker) 
Birthday: (date&time)

If no name is selected then present "N/A"

What I have tried: 

=if(isnull(pv!processvariable.name), "N/A", user(pv!processvariable.name,"firstName")& " " & user(pv!processVriable.name,"lastName") & "(" pv!processVariable.birthday &" )" )

Problem: Issue with If statement 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

if(isnull(pv!processvariable.name), "N/A", user(pv!processvariable.name,"firstName")& " " & user(pv!processvariable.name,"lastName") & "(" & pv!processvariable.birthday &" )" )

you seems to be missing an "&" (highlighted in green)

assuming you have a CDT type process variable named: processvariable

please correct the typo (corrected in amber)

Appian Employee
    in reply to agam

Personally I find it more readable/codable to use the concat() function to avoid this kind of syntax error:

= if(
      isnull(pv!processvariable.name),
      "N/A",
      fn!concat(
        user(pv!processvariable.name, "firstName"),
        " ",
        user(pv!processVriable.name, "lastName"),
        "(",
        pv!processVariable.birthday,
        " )"
      )
    )

Separately, I notice you must be doing this in a Script Task in your process model. It's best practice to encapsulate code in an expression rule where it can be tested independently of the process itself. If you'd taken this route you would have found the error for yourself when constructing and testing the script.

Appian Employee
    in reply to agam

Personally I find it more readable/codable to use the concat() function to avoid this kind of syntax error:

= if(
      isnull(pv!processvariable.name),
      "N/A",
      fn!concat(
        user(pv!processvariable.name, "firstName"),
        " ",
        user(pv!processVriable.name, "lastName"),
        "(",
        pv!processVariable.birthday,
        " )"
      )
    )

Separately, I notice you must be doing this in a Script Task in your process model. It's best practice to encapsulate code in an expression rule where it can be tested independently of the process itself. If you'd taken this route you would have found the error for yourself when constructing and testing the script.

Children
No Data