Need help designing an algorithm

Certified Associate Developer

Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of designing a quiz feature, and I'm struggling with designing an algorithm that will choose questions for a quiz. I believe my issue would easily be solved with a while loop, but since this is unavailable in Appian, I need some help designing an alternative solution. I have no code written, so let me describe my issue from a high level.

I have a table containing quiz questions - around 400 rows at the moment. When loading a quiz form, I need to pull randomly chosen 40 questions from this table.

First, I determine the first available question ID. Then, I determine the last available question ID. I save both as integers, 7 and 403.

Then, I get a random integer number, picked from a range between 7 and 403.

And here's where I get stuck: I need to make sure these numbers are unique. Normally I would have an array that I would append with these randomly generated integers on the condition that they are not already in the array, and I would do this until the array item count equals 40. But since I need to specify, somehow, the number of iterations in the for loop, the whole idea breaks apart.

Furthermore, I also need to make sure that these numbers are actually valid primary keys... You might have noticed that the range starts at 7, and this is because the first 6 rows were test values I have filtered out of the Record Type via Source Filter.

Querying the Record Type for all question IDs, and then choosing a random ID from this array is also an option, but it seems like a pretty heavy query. And then I would have to re-query.

I have another idea which might work, but I am not sure if this is the most optimal approach. The interface is using a wizard pattern, so after each question the user will have to click a button to navigate to the next question. I think I could, upon button click, append the ID of the current question to a variable, then get a random ID following the steps above, query for this ID to populate the next step. The hole in this one is that I still need to make sure that the randomly picked integer is actually a valid identifier.

Please, help a brother out!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible