Today I found a problem regarding evaluation of logical functions and boolean va

Today I found a problem regarding evaluation of logical functions and boolean variables with null values. The function "and(null())" evaluates to "true", "or(null())" evaluates to "false" and "not(null())" tells me that null parameters are not allow. Adding some true() or false() values to the and() and or() functions return correct values.

When I bring the if() function into play which always handles null() values to false() the whole behaviour looks quite inconsistent to me. I think that "and(null())" as well as "or(null())" should evaluate to "false". The function "not()" should take null() values as "false" and for consistency "not(null())" should evaluate to "true"....

OriginalPostID-125072

OriginalPostID-125072

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Thanks Lizzie, changing behaviour in a product is always a problem. For me there a lot of functions in Appian that react a bit different on these edge cases. NOT throws an exception, IF interprets NULL like FALSE, AND returns TRUE. This looks awkward to me ....

I love Appian for being such a great platform and I see that you are doing a fantastic job in holding all the pieces together. And then there are these little things ...

I will add this to my personal in-brain knowledge base :-)
  • Thanks Lizzie, changing behaviour in a product is always a problem. For me there a lot of functions in Appian that react a bit different on these edge cases. NOT throws an exception, IF interprets NULL like FALSE, AND returns TRUE. This looks awkward to me ....

I love Appian for being such a great platform and I see that you are doing a fantastic job in holding all the pieces together. And then there are these little things ...

I will add this to my personal in-brain knowledge base :-)
Children
No Data