We have functions like apply(fn!functionName, array), reduce(fn!product, accumu

We have functions like apply(fn!functionName, array), reduce(fn!product, accumulator, array), which take a function or rule as an argument. This allows us to evaluate in a functional(as in Functional Programming) manner. In a way they are higher order functions. However, we cannot create a rule which takes another rule/function as an input. Will Appian allow such functionality anytime in the future?...

OriginalPostID-128751

OriginalPostID-128751

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Thank you for the link. I agree that it is doable by creating a custom function plugin. However, I just wish that a process designer would have the flexibility of doing so just by using the expression editor.

While creating a expression rule, we can define certain input parameters for that rule. The inputs can be only of certain predefined datatypes.(like Number, boolean, Text, Any etc.) In those predefined datatypes for input params we do not have something like "Function/rule reference".

Suppose the rule I want to create is like - map(rule!mappingFunction, ri!arrint_array ) which maps an array to another array using the passed function.

I do not currently have the means to create such a rule using Expression editor since there is no way to include a function reference as an input parameter.

It would be great to have this functionality for process designers. It certainly is not a must have feature.
  • Thank you for the link. I agree that it is doable by creating a custom function plugin. However, I just wish that a process designer would have the flexibility of doing so just by using the expression editor.

While creating a expression rule, we can define certain input parameters for that rule. The inputs can be only of certain predefined datatypes.(like Number, boolean, Text, Any etc.) In those predefined datatypes for input params we do not have something like "Function/rule reference".

Suppose the rule I want to create is like - map(rule!mappingFunction, ri!arrint_array ) which maps an array to another array using the passed function.

I do not currently have the means to create such a rule using Expression editor since there is no way to include a function reference as an input parameter.

It would be great to have this functionality for process designers. It certainly is not a must have feature.
Children
No Data