17.2 Column Layout utilizing 2/3 of the screen

Certified Senior Developer

I am working on 17.2 and want divide a screen two parts. The first part should be 2/3 part of the screen which will have a grid and rest 1/3 will have the rich text display.

Is this possible using the latest 17.2 column layout feature?

I understand that one can use the each 1/3 part separately but is the above scenario achievable?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• It is possible if you have 3 columns but it is not accepting to divide the 2 columns like the way you wanted, even I have the same issue where the left part contains the links and the right part contains the data, So I was also waiting for the responses in community. Post this I just wanted to update is like bringing the columns layout is great but it would have better if Appian would have given a feature of diving the size of the screen to the designers.
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    I've been thinking about this some too - not just for having a 2/3 with column, but for other scenarios where you want or need one column to have heavier relative weighting compared to its surrounding columns.

What has occurred to me is a way they could possibly put this in future versions - a new parameter for a!columnLayout() called "relativeWidth" or "size" or something along those lines, where the default is "1", but which can get any reasonable integer value, comparable to the number of columns one might reasonably see on one layout (maybe a max of 10 or so?).

So if I set my column width for column A to "2", then have column B also (with the default size or "1"), column A will take have 2 columns' worth of width allocated to it, and the effect here would be that it would be 2/3 of the page.

Another use case this would help satisfy would be where I want to have a slender side-bar type control with a single checkbox or dropdown selector - the main column, which would normally be the only column, could now be implemented with larger width (5 or 6 maybe), then the second column would show up to its right (or really, any side), and be a fraction of the normal column size, as determined by the main column's weighting.

Anyone else think this would be useful?
  • +1
    Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

I agree that this would be extremely useful and is actually something that is already present in Appian for Editable Grids.  

See Here: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/17.2/Grid_Column_Config_Component.html

• I totally totally agree with you Mike, I was also expecting the same functionality when 17.2 release n column layout, As most of the clients or customers are interested to move to Appian but they are much more interested to have the same look and feel of their legacy applications, which is becoming a challenge for us to make them accept or adjust with the Screen limitations which we have now. Post 17.2 It was much better to get n columns. addition to that there would be much more value add on if they have given parameter for changing the width of the column. Hope Appian release in the Next release. 17.3 bring it onnnn !!!! :) :)