17.2 Column Layout utilizing 2/3 of the screen

Certified Senior Developer

I am working on 17.2 and want divide a screen two parts. The first part should be 2/3 part of the screen which will have a grid and rest 1/3 will have the rich text display.

Is this possible using the latest 17.2 column layout feature?

I understand that one can use the each 1/3 part separately but is the above scenario achievable?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    I've been thinking about this some too - not just for having a 2/3 with column, but for other scenarios where you want or need one column to have heavier relative weighting compared to its surrounding columns.

What has occurred to me is a way they could possibly put this in future versions - a new parameter for a!columnLayout() called "relativeWidth" or "size" or something along those lines, where the default is "1", but which can get any reasonable integer value, comparable to the number of columns one might reasonably see on one layout (maybe a max of 10 or so?).

So if I set my column width for column A to "2", then have column B also (with the default size or "1"), column A will take have 2 columns' worth of width allocated to it, and the effect here would be that it would be 2/3 of the page.

Another use case this would help satisfy would be where I want to have a slender side-bar type control with a single checkbox or dropdown selector - the main column, which would normally be the only column, could now be implemented with larger width (5 or 6 maybe), then the second column would show up to its right (or really, any side), and be a fraction of the normal column size, as determined by the main column's weighting.

Anyone else think this would be useful?
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    I've been thinking about this some too - not just for having a 2/3 with column, but for other scenarios where you want or need one column to have heavier relative weighting compared to its surrounding columns.

What has occurred to me is a way they could possibly put this in future versions - a new parameter for a!columnLayout() called "relativeWidth" or "size" or something along those lines, where the default is "1", but which can get any reasonable integer value, comparable to the number of columns one might reasonably see on one layout (maybe a max of 10 or so?).

So if I set my column width for column A to "2", then have column B also (with the default size or "1"), column A will take have 2 columns' worth of width allocated to it, and the effect here would be that it would be 2/3 of the page.

Another use case this would help satisfy would be where I want to have a slender side-bar type control with a single checkbox or dropdown selector - the main column, which would normally be the only column, could now be implemented with larger width (5 or 6 maybe), then the second column would show up to its right (or really, any side), and be a fraction of the normal column size, as determined by the main column's weighting.

Anyone else think this would be useful?
Children