Submitting a form via the Enter Key

Certified Associate Developer

Pre-SAIL Appian allowed for a default submit button to be designated on a form so that when a user hit the enter key the default button action would be triggered.

However it appears that this functionality is no longer available.  Has anyone found a way to achieve the same functionality? We are creating a highly used form and users would like the enter key to trigger a submit.  For design reasons we are unable to utilize dynamic SAIL to mimic the submit behavior.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• I have not used Pre-SAIL Appian form ever, but I assume that allowed using Javascripts / jQuery? If yes, can't we achieve this using javascript to capture the key-press event and getting the key-code and executing the submit action accordingly? Again, just a thought.
    Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to miteshp
    While javascript was allowed in the older UI design interface the ability to assign a default submit button to the Enter key was actually provided by the platform (ie: Appian itself provided the JS and it required no customization on the part of the developer)
  • Got it. Do you know if Appian happens to completely deprecate the compatibility for Pre-SAIL Appian form in near future? I haven't gone through the documents in detail but just checking. And yes, customization was just an option. Let's wait for Appian's expert comments to see if that appears to be the only option.
    Certified Lead Developer
    In current SAIL forms (updated to act a bit more consistent as of 17.1 / 17.2), an ENTER keypress in most single-line fields (text, integer, NOT paragraph, etc), will cause the "refreshAfter" event to fire (i.e. when set to the default value / "UNFOCUS"), which is very useful for on-form filtering etc. This seems mostly mutually-exclusive with "enter to submit" functionality unless it were implemented in a new and very specific way.

When I'm testing my process flows and I want to minimize kb/mouse switch-offs, what I most often end up doing (which works well as long as you know how), is TAB-selecting down to the action button I want, and pressing SPACE to toggle that button, i.e. submit the form or whatever else you want.