Mobile browser detection

I've been using the Appian functions a!isNativePhone() and a!isNativeTablet() to check if the logged in user is using a mobile device so that I can render the page specifically. This has identified if the user is using the Appian app on their mobile device.

Is there also a way to find out if the user is using a browser on a mobile device? I'm finding that these users are being presented with the full desktop view of my pages.

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• I took a look into available plug-ins and found the Excel Tool plug-in has a function called queryAppianlogs() that allows you to query Appian system logs by using a SQL statement.

With this, you could potentially query for the login-audit.csv file & structure the SQL statement to pull details pertaining only to the given user and select the 'User Agent' information to figure out if the user is using a browser on their mobile device.

More info for the Excel Tool plug-in can be found here: Excel Tool Plug-In

More info for the login-audit csv file can be found here: Logging Info

From the documentation, it seems as though the login-audit file records distinctive information for mobile browser clients but I could be misinterpreting this.

• Thanks

I think that would work! Although I'm not sure how fast it would be to calculate - this would be done at page load time.
  • Academically, what suggests might work.
    However, , I think you're wise to trust your gut - how long is this going to take, and how would that latency impact the user experience?

The two functions you mentioned round-out the mobile awareness capabilities available at this time.
    Is there a compelling reason that your users prioritize use of the mobile browsers instead of Appian's mobile apps?
  • Thanks for the reply .

My organisation uses a cloud SSO provider (Okta) as the focal point for their distributed set of applications (many of which are cloud based). Users have been trained to login and use their Okta dashboard as the starting point for launching applications. This is consistent across desktop and mobile, Okta has a mobile app. Once users have launched Appian from their Okta dashboard, it loads Appian in the Okta built-in browser. This is the default scenario for users.

Is there a way to include an on-screen prompt to ask users if they want to install/run the Appian app?
  • Hi Mike -

I don't have the expertise to provide guidance with Okta.

If you haven't already seen this article on custom mobile applications, I would suggest you take a look.

What you've described sounds similar to the custom mobile app, or "app wrapping" use case.
    Appian doesn't advertise support for Okta, like we do for Good / Blackberry MDM, (I don't believe these are even the same type of product).
    So you might have to connect some dots on your end to arrive at your solution.

Keep us posted if you make some progress.
    This is an interesting topic for the community to follow.

Thanks!