Trying to not create a task but display an interface

I am trying to display an interface but not create a task. I want to click on the highlight button but it won't let me

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    Hey Sergio, can you please provide more information around your use case? Where are you trying to display the interface? For what purpose?

Interfaces can be displayed via reports on a site, which would not be registered as a "task", but without more information, I'm not sure if that's what you're going for.
    Certified Lead Developer
    You can't use that highlighted button on this task because it's for defining that Appian itself perform that action and not a human being.

You can configure it as a Quick Task, and this will prevent it from appearing in the Tasks tab, if that's what you want to do. When the process flow arrives at that Quick Task, it will spawn one copy and give that to the first user that arrives, and then spool up another empty one on top of that. Whenever a user arrives at that part of the process, that user takes up the next empty one and a new empty one is created until the process is terminated. The only way to get to it is to be activity chained in, and if the user leaves the process they will never be able to get back to it, so you have to define a timeout to kill the process some time after the quick task is assigned if it isn't completed.

You can also configure the interface as the Start Form of a process. That won't generate a Task, but the form will instead be loaded first when the user starts an Action. This, by the way, is the only way to create an Action on a Site. There won't be a Task unless there's other forms inside the process model. The process model associated with the Start Form won't even start until after the Start Form is submitted. If you only want a form, you can make a process model that does absolutely nothing. It only contains a Start event and an End Event and has a Start Form configured. Now that you can write to datastore and kick off other processes and other things from SAIL, that's a growing design approach. There are some in Appian circles moving toward process model-less applications.
  • Hi sergiog0001,

Basically interface is used for UI for interacting with the enduser. for that you have to assign a task to particular person,

Coming to your point, in the highlighted button it is only work for all other smart node other than user input task because those nodes does not have any user interaction.

hope you help on this
  • Hi Sergiog,

There are two types of nodes in Appian,
    Attended Node: Any node that requires a User Intervention is called attended node
    unattended Node.: Any node that doesnot require a user intervention is called un attended node.
    All the unattended node by default will have that option enabled i.e. This node will run as automated activity. It will not be assigned to anyone as task.
    For Attended nodes, The node must be assigned to a person or group.

Script Task is an example of Un attended node and User input task is an example of attended node.
  • to fix this problem I had to a submit or ok button on the interface. Otherwise Appian will create a task on the system