Adjust a banner image inside a billboard

Hi,

I have a banner image inside a billboard, in which I set high to be SHORT. Reading through the documentation, I found out that the image is crop at the top and at the bottom. Is there a way to set the billboard to crop the image just at the bottom? This is so basic, I can't believe Appian doesn't allow this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roberta

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

My recommendation would be to determine the exact number of pixels a SHORT billboard layout is, then crop the image in another program yourself exactly the way that you want.  I think this operation should be simple enough even in MS Paint.  It should only take you a minute or so.  You then upload an image that's already the size of the SHORT billboard so Appian doesn't even have to crop.

You don't even have to be especially particular about it if you're on 19.4.  If there's a nice portion of the image that you like, and it's roughly the size of a SHORT, you can set the height of the billboard to AUTO and get exactly the size banner you want.  With AUTO, you could even have a banner image shorter than SHORT.

• Thank you for the response, David. I will work out my image before bringing into Appian.

We are in 19.4, but it is hard to believe that this in Appian is a restriction.

Best,

Roberta

• Hello Roberta,

Could you please help with the user case so that we can find out the look around because just cropping from the bottom seems to be a difficult task 

• Hi Ashwina,

Thank you for your reply.

Cropping from the bottom is not a difficult task, however, there is a lot of try and error to figure out how to make Appian display my company's banner properly without cropping the company's logo or show like the banner is not blown out. There is no crazy image, it is just a simple jpg image file that we use throughout our online branding.

I believe this adjustment should be done in the platform itself once there is an image, something like proper rendering of images. This is common in web UI interface tools. As it is offered an UI interface module in Appian, from my view, this needs to be added as a feature to the Billboard component so the user can have the chance to define how the image should be displayed right there inside the component instead of having to go through multiple edits in a different tool because there is a limitation in this regard within Appian.

My 2 cents. Slight smile

Thanks,

Roberta

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Ashwin

Honestly, if Appian itself lets you put more fine-grained customization on how your User Profile background photo is displayed, why not a Billboard layout?

I don't think you should have to crop the image yourself in another program for it to work, but there it is to use in the meantime.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to robertab0001

BTW, have you tried setting a height of "AUTO", to see what happens with your image?  After a brief test it appears to me as if it maintains the aspect ratio of the image in question (at least maybe if it starts out in approximately the correct proportions).

• Hi Mike,

Yes, but it didn't display correctly.

Thanks,

Roberta