Submit form does not return to record view

I do have a process model with start form. All my buttons are set to "Submit: true" but for some reasons not always buttons not redirect user back to record view. I do have enable chaining between all the nodes.  None of the sub process is run as async process. Enable chaining is also enabled between all nodes in sub processes.

I'm using Appian version 20.1

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Are you related actions opening in dialogs or below the header? If you have them open in dialogs you can guarantee that you still stay on the record view.

• Process is start as a!startProcessLink() from record list from ID column. It is not dialog. Based on documentation at the end it should go back to record list. 

I'm generating documents for each process/sub process to make sure that chaining is enabled but still cant find a reason. I have also relogin  to Appian and clear chrome cookies.

• It has not helped at all. I don't want to have a dialog but even when we used recordactionfiled as suggested user is not redirected to previous page.

I have simplified sub processes and it has not helped as well.

I have noticed one thing which I don't know how to address - this is Chrome developer console error:

Invalid 'X-Frame-Options' header encountered when loading 'https://server:8000/': 'ALLOW-FROM https://appian-dev.aaaa.net' is not a recognized directive. The header will be ignored.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Furman

Any chance you could provide some sort of screenshot of what's actually happening?  I'm still not really clear what you're expecting the user to experience, much less what you're *actually* experiencing currently.  You've said multiple times that the user isn't getting redirected "back to record view" but I still can't figure out what's happening instead, which is the absolute minimum we'd need to even make a guess as to why.

• There is no much to show. User from record view is redirected to process model with start form. There are buttons on this form and some of them are submit buttons. Once user click on button i can see that small progress bar is running on the top then there is small popup from Appian as action completed but then user is not redirected back to record view. Process model is finished without error.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Furman
    there is small popup from Appian as action completed but then user is not redirected back to record view.

so.... what does the user see after this?  Are they stuck on that form?  Are they popping back to the start form?  Does their monitor go completely blank?

• They remain on that form. They stuck there. They are not redirected back. 

This is not happening all the time which is weird. Clearing cookies, relogging to Appian does not help.

• It sounds to be that the form is not submitting in these situations, potentially due to validation errors, etc.  In all my tests with a!startProcessLink (and just ran another with a Start Form process), all works correctly by redirecting back to wherever the link resides.

Are you able to replicate this behavior?

Otherwise you may have to wait until a user reports this, then verify their process instance with Monitor mode to see if it actually submitted.  

• process start as i can see it on monitoring so i assume there are no validations issues.

Is there any way to debug process model from backend? In other words can our IT Appian admin see something more that i can see from on monitoring screen?

• Using Monitor mode to determine if the process is actually starting (since this is a Start Form Process) is fine to determine that the form submitted.  However, we want to try and relate this to an instance where the user is stuck on the form, but the process also submitted, which you mentioned does not always occur.

On the process that started today, was the user left at the start form?

• To summarize this case. I have asked different users to test it and only 2 out of 5 have this issue (Appian do not redirect them back once the submit button is clicked. As mentioned before there is no error message and process run to end).

Based on different testing i can say: Same issue occurs on Chrome, ie. Clearing catch/cookies/ logging off and on  has not resolved the issue. What's more if user for who issue occurs logged in to Appian using my machine issue still occurred for him. When I login to Appian using his machine i was redirected back to records as expected.  

It looks like it is somehow related to particular user.

• That is definitely strange behavior, and might be a good situation for an Appian support case - as Danny notes above, a!startProcessLink() should always redirect the user to the previous URL.

When they are "stuck" on the form after submitting, do the fields clear (as if it is attempting to start a new/clean process), or does any data entered remain?

You could look at the differences between the user accounts, but I can't think of anything that would apply - security settings / group memberships, user start pages, etc - doesn't seem like any of those profile differences would have anything to do with a!startProcessLink() routing behavior.  

• That is definitely strange behavior, and might be a good situation for an Appian support case - as Danny notes above, a!startProcessLink() should always redirect the user to the previous URL.

When they are "stuck" on the form after submitting, do the fields clear (as if it is attempting to start a new/clean process), or does any data entered remain?

You could look at the differences between the user accounts, but I can't think of anything that would apply - security settings / group memberships, user start pages, etc - doesn't seem like any of those profile differences would have anything to do with a!startProcessLink() routing behavior.  

Children
No Data