Reusable grid

Certified Senior Developer

Hi.

I am attempting to make a reusable grid using a passed ri! of type Any with a cdt type being passed into it.

Optionally I am thinking about passing in a list of column names so I can specify the order the grid displays columns in.

From there I wanted to do a foreach generating the N grid columns using field names and types grabbed from the passed cdt..

1.I don't know if there is a way to get a list of all the fields a cdt type has.

2. I am unsure if there is a way to get their types.

Any tips?  

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Certified Senior Developer
    in reply to Stefan Helzle

I was brainstorming filter designs. Most of these are oriented around uncluttering filter usage without forcing the user to drill into hidden filters. When i say a filter I imagine something in the format below.

[CreatedBy]:[____enterTextHere_________________]

1. A filter that toggles the filtered field based on a set of autogenerated buttons in a line above your column names, named after the column names. See below

[CreatedBy] [CreatedDate] [Serial]

[______Enter text here_____________]

-I wasn't a fan of how cluttered things get with a dozen _Enter text heres__ normal filters in mass.

-Even with hiding them when not in use, I feel  they either take too long to drill into or too many are shown at once with larger queries.

-Buttons would reduce this space usage and allow faster filter choosing and cleaner space. This could cover about twice the number of column names in the space a normal filter uses.

- Design decision with this is only one thing is filtered on at a time.

2. Most users probably only filter on a few columns.  A way to let users choose their own configuration of normal filters might be useful.  Add on filters by giving them a multi selectable dropdown with column names to enable/disable.

-I would like the dropdown autogenerated.

Some features seem too complicated as I type them out like  letting a user create a preset that exists each time they log in. Plus I feel they would require creating tables for the info and would definitely stop the generic-ness of the rule I has wanted.

Ex.

(Kyle sets it up so he sees ID and FinishDate filters)  (Marie sets her preset to see filters for ID and CreatedBy)

Anyway I think this is all a bit beside the point.  Came here looking for ways to extract column info from things like datasubsets to automate the above. Thats what I want tips on here.