22.3 Feedback - Please bring back the "floating" global search bar

Certified Lead Developer

In 22.3 the "global search bar" has been centralized somewhat and pinned to the top bar of /Design, with added functionality, which is neat.

However the "floating" bar invoked by pressing CTRL-Space is no longer "floating", meaning the CTRL-Space hotkey no longer works at all in a very important (to me, at least) use case: during pop-up dialogs (eg the deployment pop-up, missing precedents, etc).

The way it worked before: even if I have a missing precedent checker or deployment window open, but still want to search for and/or open some object, I could just hit CTRL-Space and search:

(from 22.2)

Meanwhile, after upgrading to 22.3, we can see the "search objects" bar hanging out in the background but being completely useless even if I spam the CTRL-Space hotkey:

I can't speak for others here, but I estimate that I personally used this functionality very often to look up and/or open objects I need even when in the middle of a pop-up dialog I don't want to interrupt (or sometimes to check for something that I think should be included in it, etc).

CLARIFYING EDIT: the CTRL-Space search STILL DOES WORK (just... moved slightly, not "floating", but with some nice details added) when not obstructed by a pop-up dialog (like the Missing Precedents checker or the Deployment Sequence).

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
  • Hi Mike, thank you for the feedback regarding the search bar. We've heard the similar feedback from other and we are actively looking into restoring access to global search in dialog boxes (Use Case #5553). 

We are also looking into other enhancements such as retaining the global search results when you click out of the search bar and retaining global search after you open a new object.

In addition to the global search anywhere, is that something you would find helpful?

Thanks!

Children