Hiding Appian Record Header in Related action View

Certified Senior Developer

Hi,

I have link to record related action, however the view of the related action comes up with the record Header on top with Record Title, Summary, and other tabs.

I am looking for a way to hide the Record Header in related action view. Any help in this regard is highly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Hello Anjali,

Instead of accessing the related actions from the 'Related Actions' view, you can enable users to access them through 'Related Actions shortcuts' on the summary or any other views. This approach eliminates the need to view the record header and title, and the related action will open in a dialog box.

If you prefer, you have the option to hide the 'Related Actions' tab as well.

in reply to Mathurambika M

Thanks for the response, however I think I was not able to explain my question.

Let's say that I have a related action to update a record, I have an interface (suppose home page) where I created a "link to the record related action, and set it to open in new tab".

See the image below for instance, here the Update case related action is shown in this grid.

When the user clicks on 'UPDATE CASE', a new tab opens and the Update record interface shows up, however in this new tab, we can see the 'Record Header' on top along with Headers of all the views of that record like Summary, etc. Like this-

The requirement is to hide the tabs from top of the page on Update Case interface. I hope I was able to explain the question.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to AnjaliP

Why would you want to navigate to the related actions view first? I my mind, it would make sense to open the related action directly from that button in your grid.

Certified Associate Developer

Hello AnjaliP,

As Stefan mentioned, it would be better to perform your related action in the same page.

But if you want to hide Appian Record Header you can try to disable the 'Default Views' in the Views of your Record Object. This may help to a certain extend. 

Even then you will be getting your Record Title and the View Name. This you can handle by giving Null for both View Name when you create a view and in record title (switch to expression and give null value). I tried this way. This is working but you will still get the header with empty space when you click on your related action and open it in a new tab.

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to AnjaliP

I don't think it is possible to hide the record headers by opening the related actions in a new tab. Ideally, you can achieve this by doing the following:

1. As mentioned earlier, configure the related action to open in a dialog box.

2. Otherwise, you can use 'a!startProcessLink' to start a process and navigate the user through any start form or the first chained attended node and any subsequent chained forms. This way, you will not see any headers at the top; however, the form will be opened in the same tab.

in reply to Mathurambika M

Thanks Madhurambika, these 2 options are certainly there. I was wondering if we could have related actions work in a new tab, seems like we can't. 

Cheers!

in reply to Stefan Helzle

Hey  

I am trying to open related actions from the button itself. The question was whether it is possible to not see the record headers and the names of different record views when update case page opens up.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to AnjaliP

I think there is a good reason to show the header. It provides the necessary context to the user to know what he is doing.

BTW, did you consider to open the related actions in a dialog?

in reply to Stefan Helzle

Yes, dialog box does work however the form is bigger and the dialog box doesn't do justice with it.

Also, albeit I understand the point of showing the Record Header (for eg, Case name...) for context, but why do we not have the option the hide the tabs with labels of the different record views (summary, audit, etc.). It creates a distraction for the user opening the record action and if they mistakenly click on Summary tab, they immediately leave the form and that can be confusing. 

At this point, I feel my best bet is to go with a!startprocesslink(), notwithstanding that I really wanted to make use of Record Related actions feature. 

in reply to Rithani Vivekananthan

Hi Rithani,

Appreciate your response. Although, I was looking for a whether Appian offers an option to hide the record view labels amd record header.

I think if I have to do a workaround, it's more convenient to use a!startprocesslink().