Good way for doing cascading drop downs in old forms designer?

Does anyone have a good way for doing a cascading drop downs in old forms designer?
Cascading drop down means: on first drop down value selection drives the values that can be selected in second drop down.
We have used, Javascript earlier, is there any other way?

OriginalPostID-186626

OriginalPostID-186626

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @rishij Not sure what you exactly meant by JavaScript, so I am assuming that you aren't aware of the FormAPI. We used JavaScript(Jquery mostly, as it looks cleaner) in conjunction with a plugin that provides a library namely FormAPI and this FormAPI consists of various functions that helps us to achieve cascading dynamic select, auto complete etc.

To the best of my knowledge, usage of JavaScript or JQuery in conjunction with FormAPI is the clean way of achieving the cascading dynamic drop downs in the Forms Designer.
  • rishi, as @sikhivahans suggested that might be one approach, but you can also consider the selection of one dropdown and submitting the form and get the other cascaded dropdown based on the selection.This would not use Javascript( from the last line "we have used Javascript earlier).
  • Will you please tell me if there is any easy way of looking at the java script errors on the form? any logs that you could point me to? We are working on Appian AWS cloud.
  • @rishij We used to use alert() statement for debugging purposes, and this used to tell us if the variables are populated with proper values and functions are giving appropriate return values. Further I do remember seeing some people using a function similar to debug or debugger, let's see if someone can give reference to this. To the best of my knowledge, logs won't record the errors if the function is from JavaScript or Jquery. Also the errors won't be logged even in case of FormAPI until and unless there is a problem in sql statement, or problem in invoking the expression etc. If you are aware of the above, please ignore them, but they are my experiences.