Excel Tools

Overview

Provides the following custom smart services and functions for handling data in Excel.

Key Features & Functionality

Smart Services included are:

• Merge Excel Documents
  • Import CSV to Database
  • Import Excel to Database
  • Load CSV to Database
  • Convert HTML to CSV  
  • Convert Excel to CSV
  • Encrypt Excel with Password

Functions included are:

• Read Excel File Paged
  • Read Excel Cell by Name
  • Read Excel Cell by Number
  • Query Appian Logs
  • Export Datasubset to Base64
  • Validate Document Headers
Anonymous
Parents
  • This plugin crashes our Cloud environment about once per month due to an apparent memory leak which slowly consumes all of our EC2 memory the more we use it. Appian support has been having to restart our environment to temporarily fix this. We have been trying to get to the bottom of this to see if we can fix it, or figure out if we are misusing Excel Tools in some way, but have not had any luck. We are running the latest version of Excel Tools. Any advice or support would be highly appreciated!

Appian Support commented the following:

"I ran a leaked suspects analysis and the largest consumer of heap during the high load was from some exceltool classes. The following snippet from the stack trace shows the exceltool classes of note:

at com.appiancorp.ps.exceltools.util.ExcelHelperUtils.getWorkbook(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/apache/poi/ss/usermodel/Workbook; (ExcelHelperUtils.java:562) at com.appiancorp.ps.exceltools.expression.ReadExcelFileFunction.readExcelSheet(Lcom/appiancorp/suiteapi/content/ContentService;Lcom/appiancorp/suiteapi/type/TypeService;Ljava/lang/Long;IILjava/lang/Integer;Ljava/lang/String;)Lcom/appiancorp/suiteapi/type/TypedValue; (ReadExcelFileFunction.java:51) I see that the site is using an older version of the execltools plugin, V 1.9.4. From the changelogs there are some changes that improve the stability of the plugin. I recommend deploying the latest version of the plugin and retesting to see if the behavior improves."

Comment
  • This plugin crashes our Cloud environment about once per month due to an apparent memory leak which slowly consumes all of our EC2 memory the more we use it. Appian support has been having to restart our environment to temporarily fix this. We have been trying to get to the bottom of this to see if we can fix it, or figure out if we are misusing Excel Tools in some way, but have not had any luck. We are running the latest version of Excel Tools. Any advice or support would be highly appreciated!

Appian Support commented the following:

"I ran a leaked suspects analysis and the largest consumer of heap during the high load was from some exceltool classes. The following snippet from the stack trace shows the exceltool classes of note:

at com.appiancorp.ps.exceltools.util.ExcelHelperUtils.getWorkbook(Ljava/lang/String;Ljava/lang/String;)Lorg/apache/poi/ss/usermodel/Workbook; (ExcelHelperUtils.java:562) at com.appiancorp.ps.exceltools.expression.ReadExcelFileFunction.readExcelSheet(Lcom/appiancorp/suiteapi/content/ContentService;Lcom/appiancorp/suiteapi/type/TypeService;Ljava/lang/Long;IILjava/lang/Integer;Ljava/lang/String;)Lcom/appiancorp/suiteapi/type/TypedValue; (ReadExcelFileFunction.java:51) I see that the site is using an older version of the execltools plugin, V 1.9.4. From the changelogs there are some changes that improve the stability of the plugin. I recommend deploying the latest version of the plugin and retesting to see if the behavior improves."

Children