Does my Appian primary datasource need to have a different pool or the same pool as secondary datasources?

By default, the configure script will add a datasource to "appian-mysql-ds.xml" for Appian's primary database. The pool name is set to "MySqlDS" by default.

However, according to https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/17.1/Configuring_Relational_Databases.html I should add my business datasource(s) to the same XML file as the one for Appian's primary database. So should these business datasources also have pool name "MySqlDS" or should I have a separate pool for those? And if I'm reusing the "MySqlDS" pool, do I need to keep the "min-pool-size" and "max-pool-size" elements within my business datasource definition, as these would already have been defined by the Appian primary one?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• I just installed appian server and set diferrent names for pool name for appian datasource and bussines datasources. It appears that it works like that. Further than that i have no idea to what is used for the pool name.
  • Use different pool names. Pool name is used by the AS. Not entirely sure if different names is required but I recommend different names.

Also, Business data sources can be configured via admin console. docs.appian.com/.../Appian_Administration_Console.html
  • Business data sources configured by the admin console are just how the Appian software refers to them, similarly to defining them in "custom.properties". You still need to define the datasource in your application server, e.g. "appian-mysql-ds.xml". Appian requires you to specify the JNDI name of the datasource in the admin console, so it must already exist. This is the configuration I'm referring to.
  • We can keep the same pool name for both datasources where as jndi name must be configured as defined in custom.properties.
  • Hi Rogeliog,

Hope so you are doing fine,

I am trying to install appian server but having difficulty with configuring the MySql connection can you kindly tell me what is JNDI? what do I need to put in .xml file 

e.g: 

for tomcat.resource.xml

what should be the name? here (<Resource name="jdbc/") what should be after jdbc/ should it be the schema name? e.g appian_schema I created in MySql servre

what should be in url after port/

is this the correct url? if I my sql servr is on local machine and the schema is appian_schema

url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/appian_schema?useOldAliasMetadataBehavior=true&amp;useServerPrepStmts=true"

---------------------------------------

and for custom.properties.dev file, should the data source look like this?

conf.data.datasources=appian_schema 

I am new to appian and need to set a an appian server on my local machine, I am setting up server for first time, kindly help me out.

Any help would be really appreciated 

Thank you

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Shoaib

JNDI and appian_schema in URL are different. They don't have to be match or unique. JNDI is used by the application server to load the resource and they have to start with jndi/<anyname>. In custom.properties you have to mention the name you used in the app server so that Appian knows which JDNI to use as it's data source.

If you have multiple JNDI they all have to be unique. Application server cannot load 2 JNDI with same name. 

The appian_schema is the DB name you want to use as your Appian data source.

what should be the name? here (<Resource name="jdbc/") what should be after jdbc/ should it be the schema name?

Could be anything, it doesn't have to match your mysql db name. Just make sure you use the same in custom.properties including jndi/ conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=<AS_IN_tomcat.resource.xml> e.g conf.data.APPIAN_DATA_SOURCE=jndi/AppianDS

custom.properties.dev file, should the data source look like this?

conf.data.datasources=appian_schema 

Do not use conf.data.datasources, that is to add business data sources the old way. The data source defined in tomcat.resource.xml is only for Appian as a platform to use. Use a separate schema for business and add it via admin console: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/19.2/Appian_Administration_Console.html#data-sources