Impossible to login on a fresh 17.1 install

A Score Level 2

Hello

I've proceed to the installation of a new fresh 17.1 appian (+Hotfix D), on a windows laptop (using the Quick start installation guide for windows and Jboss https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/17.1/Quick_Start_Installation_Guide_for_Windows_and_JBoss.html).

Unfortunately, impossible to login with the initial system administrator account defined in the passwords.properties file.

Moreover, my applicaiton-server.log file is almost empty.

Does anybody have an idea about what could cause this issue and how to solve it ? 

Thanks in advance

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• First, you should look at jboss logs about appian startup, for 16.3 I have it at <APPIAN_HOME>\bin\jboss\jboss-eap-6.4\standalone\log\server.log
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to sergeiz

Hello Serge

I had a look in the jboss EAP log file, but there is only an error mentionned for the log4j system, but nothing about logging issue

16:13:18,689 ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-2) log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (org.apache.commons.configuration.PropertiesConfiguration).

16:13:18,691 ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-2) log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

16:13:18,692 ERROR [stderr] (MSC service thread 1-2) log4j:WARN See  for more info.

I've never seen this log4j issue before 

5226.server.log

• Agree, no issues in the jboss log.

Does passwords.properties file work as described?

You created file for the environment, used temporary password, and the file was deleted after server start?

--- quote ---
    Create an Initial System Administrator Account
    In order to create Appian users in the Administration Console, you will need to create a system administrator account at start-up.

In the <REPO_HOME>\ear\suite.ear\conf directory, make a copy of passwords.properties.example and rename it to passwords.properties.<ENVIRONMENT>. Specify the following properties in the file:

conf.password.ADMIN_USERNAME=
    conf.password.ADMIN_FIRST_NAME=
    conf.password.ADMIN_LAST_NAME=
    conf.password.ADMIN_EMAIL=
    conf.password.ADMIN_TEMPORARY_PASSWORD=
    conf.password.ADMIN_TEMPORARY_PASSWORD is the password that will be used to log in for the first time. The user will be prompted to change their password upon logging in.

A user will be created only if there are currently no active system administrator users on the system. The specified user information must follow all the same requirements as creating a user from within Appian to be created successfully.

The passwords.properties.<ENVIRONMENT> file is read and then deleted from the file system during application server startup.
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to sergeiz
    Yes, I&#x27;ve setup the password.properties.ENV file as expected in the repo, it has been deployed and then deleted by the system.
  • Whenever this has happened to me it&#x27;s because I neglected to allow insecure cookies for a HTTP installation. See Part Six of the guide you linked above.
  • Hi jeanb,

The error I can see in your application server log is as follows:

16:15:26,648 INFO [stdout] (ServerService Thread Pool -- 56) 2017-05-19 16:15:26,647 [ServerService Thread Pool -- 56] ERROR com.appiancorp.suite.PasswordConfiguration - Could not create system administrator Administrator from passwords.properties: Could not create system administrator user "Administrator" as specified in password.properties: The username is not available

Are you trying to create the initial administrator account with the username "Administrator"? If so, please change this to another username as "Administrator" is not available, as it is created by default.

Also it is very important to modify your web.xml file to allow for insecure cookies. See Part 6 in the following:

docs.appian.com/.../Quick_Start_Installation_Guide_for_Windows_and_JBoss.html
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    Hi,

Please create the System Administrator account with username other than Administrator.
    And also don&#x27;t forget to delete the COOKIE configuration in web.xml if you are using http.
    A Score Level 2
    in reply to Rama Thummala
    Hello

The issue was effectively in relation with the username of the account I was trying to create.

Administrator is not permitted, ans I didn&#x27;t have identified this point.

I&#x27;ve changed the username, and then it was correcly created and I&#x27;m now able to login with this username.

Thanks to everyone for your help