Configure email to start a process

I am trying to set up appian to accept email and start the process, do each process model need to have a email address associated with it to be able to receive email ? If yes then where do i specify the email address for the process. Or when a process send email notification a Process UUID is associated with that email can a reply be sent via the same Process UUID to start a process?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hi Ankur

The documentation for this is here: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/19.1/Sending_an_Email_Message_to_a_Process.html#starting-a-process-using-an-email

I'm not entirely sure that there aren't more questions than can be answered in the above documentation. Yes, if you want to start a process instance directly, you'll need to send an email to: 

processmodeluuid<model_uuid>@subdomain.appiancloud.com

(use UUID as this is guaranteed to be the same across envrionments, ids are not!)

If you have a LOT of different Process Models you want to start you might find it more manageable to have single Process Model that gets started by Email but that acts as a "router" to the other Process Models.
    In this pattern you'd need to examine the Email for some sort of token that would help you route to the correct Process Model.
    You may find using a Decision object helps you here as it can return reference to Process Models and makes the management easier.

BUT: I would question WHY you want to use Email as the trigger? This can be fragile, especially if you're relying on the content to conduct processing.
    Have you considered a WebAPI as an alternative method?

Regards

S>

• Thanks for the document link that was exactly what i was looking into but i still have a question.  If i am using processmodeluuid<model_uuid>@subdomain.appiancloud.com where <modelUUID> can be an incremental value do i need to create a email address for the processmodeluuid<model_uuid>@subdomain.com. Also this is on-premise so it will be different. How does appian do it on the cloud front?

Reply Children