Appian Installation Issue - Service Manager Could Not Be Started

Good morning Sir, Madam,

I am trying to install APPIAN locally in my Computer.

I followed all the steps in the below link:

https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/20.3/Quick_Start_Installation_Guide.html

I have valid k4 and k3 licenses files.

When I try to launch the the first command (<APPIAN_HOME>\services\bin\start.bat -p <password> -s all), I have the following error:

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian\services\bin>start.bat -p admin123 -s all
Detected Appian version 20.3.90.0 from build.info
Starting Distributed Transaction Log
Zookeeper connected, root child count of [12]
QuorumPeerMain is already a running process
Service Zookeeper successfully started
local Kafka broker 0 : (EndPoint(localhost,9092,ListenerName(PLAINTEXT),PLAINTEXT)) : null registered in Zookeeper
Kafka is already a running process
Service Kafka successfully started
Distributed Transaction Log Started
Starting Service Manager
Executing command: '[cmd, /c, c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian\services\lib\scripts\service-manager.bat]' in c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian\services\lib\scripts with environment [JAVA_OPTS:-XX:ErrorFile=c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian\logs\service-manager/service_manager_error_pid%p.log -XX:MaxDirectMemorySize=8g -Xms64m -Xmx8g ]
Waiting for Service Manager to launch
Service Manager could not be started

Please, can you help me with this issue?

Regards,

Richard

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • Hello Richard

Can you share the logs/service_manager.log file as this will provide more detailed information.

If we assume you've ensured the system requirements for installing appian are met, can you check the following:

1. Windows Firewall is temporally disabled

2. You are launching the start.bat file as administrator i.e right-click start.bat and select "run as administrator"

3. You've made the correct config changes to the /conf/custom.properties, tomcatResources.xml, data-server-sec.propertis and copied the lic files in the correct locations.

You can try and run:

1. /services/bin/stop.bat -p <password> -s all

2. Check there are no lingering processes by opening task manager or using process explorer. If there are then kill them.

3. Start again.

Please confirm

Thank you

Tony

• Hello Richard

Can you share the logs/service_manager.log file as this will provide more detailed information.

If we assume you've ensured the system requirements for installing appian are met, can you check the following:

1. Windows Firewall is temporally disabled

2. You are launching the start.bat file as administrator i.e right-click start.bat and select "run as administrator"

3. You've made the correct config changes to the /conf/custom.properties, tomcatResources.xml, data-server-sec.propertis and copied the lic files in the correct locations.

You can try and run:

1. /services/bin/stop.bat -p <password> -s all

2. Check there are no lingering processes by opening task manager or using process explorer. If there are then kill them.

3. Start again.

Please confirm

Thank you

Tony

Children
  • Hi Tony,

Thanks for your answer.

I did all the suggested controls and I started again the server (in DEBUG mode). Please find below the error that I have (the message is indicating where the program is exiting):

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian\services\lib\scripts>if "0" == "0" goto mainEnd

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian\services\lib\scripts>if "Windows_NT" == "Windows_NT" endlocal
    Service Manager could not be started

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian>if "1" == "0" goto mainEnd

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian>rem Set variable START_EXIT_CONSOLE if you need the _script_ return code instead of

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian>rem the _cmd.exe /c_ return code!

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian>if not "" == "" exit 1

c:\appian20.3.90.0\appian>exit /b 1

Regards,

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Richard Manga

Hi Richard,

I have encountered a similar issue before. To resolve it, I observed that the root cause was an improper shutdown of the Appian server. Please ensure that everything is smoothly shut down. Remove the Zookeeper and Kafka logs in the services/data directory, remove hs, and ss from data-server/data, provide the Java path, and start the services according to the documentation.