Developer comments

Please let me know if there any problem for adding the developer comments in SAIL . I heard that its against the best practice.

It would be nice if would be nice if some one could provide me what are the best practice in Developer comments

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • I would like to add my sentiments on single line commenting (separate from block commenting), this would be a VERY useful feature to include in the base product!

Primarily in development of complex forms, very often large sections of code need to be commented out in debugging to narrow the target.  I can't say how many times I've ctrl+/ uncommented a large section of code only to have all the developer notes uncommented as well, creating a hassle to quickly locate an issue when you have to re-comment these lines prior to continuing work.  Or, how many times I've collapsed a large layout section and added /* prior and */ after, only to have the lines partially commented when the first set of dev notes trailing "*/" ends the block-comment I was trying to add.. 

This hassle would be resolved if we could single-line comment with "--" or "//" as in other languages such as SQL, as these will not conflict when block commenting anything surrounding dev comments.

/*
    select 1
    --comment!
    select 2
    */

Probably my only complaint with SAIL however (except the ability to retrieve the current browser URL would be nice as well ;) ).

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Chris

The problem with commenting out large sections of code, already containing comments, could also be solved by allowing nested comments. For instance this should be possible:

/*

list2: if(
    isnull(ri!sortValues),  /* sortValues is optional */
    ri!list,
    ri!sortValues
    ),

*/

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Søren Juul

Agreed, this would be a place where the "//" or "--" comment functionality would be great.

Reply Children
No Data