Failure on an End Event. Does not exist User...

Failure on an End Event. Does not exist User...

OriginalPostID-102369

OriginalPostID-102369

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• 6.0.3 the message I get is: There is a problem with task “Over and Out” in the process CUTSK Escalation Handler. Does not exist: User

Task "Over and Out" is an end event, set to terminate the process and data Management is set to delete the process after two days
  • It seems that there's a missing user in one of the engines. In newer versions of Appian you can use checkengine -cu to address this issue but not in your Appian version.

Let me know if you can identify the username of:

1. Whoever started the process
    2. Whoever designed the model
    3. Whoever last published the model

and review if they are available in the People tab, if they are I'll let you know how to fix this
  • I'm the person who did all three, and yes I'm available in teh people tab
  • To check the Designer of the model:

1. Click on the link of this alert
    2. Click on Process Model Dashboard
    3. Edit Process Model
    4. File - Properties
    5. At the top you will see two names: "Created by" and "Last modified"
    6. For the process initiator use pp!initiator in a report or review the process dashboard

1. Can you double check if steps 5 and 6 are showing your name?
    2. Open the process instance in Monitor Mode and hit "CTRL + F" to search using the browser's utility and search for:

Over and Out

can you confirm the only node with this name is the End Event? I don't think this error is for your account there's should be another user involved in this process triggering the error since you are able to perform other things in the environment

3. If you find another node with that name check if that node has an assignment pointing to a user and take notes on that username so we can fix that one

4. Review the application-server.log at the same time when you got the alert, is the username mentioned there? Review the whole stack trace of the "Does not exist: User" error

5. Review the db_PX*.log at the same time when you got the alert, is the username mentioned there? Remember that depending on the process ID this error will in db_PX00*.log, db_PX01*.log, or db_PX02*.log,
  • I've done as you instructed, I am the person who created, published and initiated the process with the problem. The node in question is the only node by that name and is an End Event.
  • Now that you have confirmed, let's see if the issue is indeed with your account:

1. Open the problematic model
    2. Do a File - Save As to create a copy
    3. Remove all node except for the START ---> END EVENT
    4. Run a new instance. Does the same error occur?
    5. If it doesn't occur, review the variables of the original process and find all variables that contain a username, take notes on them since they could be the ones generating the error.
  • Yeah, I just realized, I'm iterating over an array of usernames as Text, and using touser to convert them to User types and appending that result to an Array of User types. This is using MNI. I'm not 100 % I've got the mechanism correct because the user array is just displaying the text user names instead of Firstname Lastname
  • Then that should be where the problem is, it could be you are passing an invalid username, in that case what I initially said about the missing users in the engines does not apply
  • Hi richard.nolan,
    I have the same problem as you... When we start a new instance of the process model, it stops on a report and it displays in a chain activity: "Does not exist User".
    We issued the command: checkengine.bat -cu, but it didn't solve the issue. We are currently on Appian 7.0.
    We are also iterating over an array of usernames as Text, and using touser to convert them to User types and appending that result to an Array of User types. Please tell me, how did you solve this problem...
    Thank you in advance... Best Regards, Bojan