Is there a way to store the Appian process models into external source control t

Is there a way to store the Appian process models into external source control tool like subversion or Windows Team Foundation Server (TFS)?

I am having a difficulty of recovering the deleted process models as the version history of those process models were also deleted and there is no easy way to restore them rather than rolling back my previous kdbs or go back to my previously exported application package backups and resolving missing dependencies after I import them back into Appian (which is a very tedious process to do)....

OriginalPostID-37315

OriginalPostID-37315

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Amirul, why not export the process model as an app on a regular basis and store it in your source control. Also, any reason why you are deleting process models? You may want to move your unused process models initially to some folder such as _unused for some time to address issues like this before deleting them (if at all).
  • Hi Sathya, many thanks on your response.

Exporting the proces model as an app on regular basis is what we are trying to do now. The only drawback with this approach is when we try to export a page that is being shared by multiple processes.

This would mean that we need to export all the processes required by that page to resolve missing dependencies as in fact we probably only require one process model to be exported (along with dependent rules and constants). If someone else has an unfinished process models in that page, then their version will be included as well in. If we are going to use the exported package as a patch to the production or UAT, then the non-relevant processes that got exported into the package will affect the system from a working version to a possible non-working version.
  • Amirul, it is not required to use the dependency checker when an creating/exporting an application, especially if you are only exporting a few process models or pages for a patch, backup, or delta application. You can pick and choose which models, rules, constants, etc. you want included in the application to ensure you're only exporting what's necessary. Just be sure when importing the application those dependencies (for the exported models, etc.) are already in the import environment with the correct references and the app should import fine.
  • Hi Braden,

Thanks for the information. We have conducted a test on the export function and we have done a number of exports on some of our process models. In addition, we also generate the documentation of the process models, and then save them into the version control too.

It's a tedious process and not ideal at the moment to manage all of those process model versions, but I guess we have to live with that at the moment until there is a better way to manage them.