Excel Tools: Export CDT to Excel smart service can't be found under Integration Services > Excel Tools

I have downloaded and deployed the latest version of the plugin (2.0.2) and found that I am unable to select the Export CDT to Excel smart service. The icon seems to be missing from the palette. Switching back to version 2.0.0 brings it back again.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with 2.0.2 and was able to resolve it?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • +1
    Certified Lead Developer

Apparently, version 2.0.2 of this plug-in has deprecated the CDT to Excel smart service for reasons not given (perhaps the aforementioned race condition).

Per the Shared Components Record:

The official AppMarket page for this plug-in is here.  I suggest, for anyone else who requires the CDT to Excel node to remain available, drop by and leave a comment there also.

This is also very dismaying to me, as I have several places where I require to use this smart service, and was looking forward to upgrading some of my legacy uses to the (relatively recent) updated version that allows word wrapping to be preserved.

And to clarify, I use Export CDT to Excel for use cases that are NOT handled by either Export SQL to Excel or Export Data Store Entity to Excel.  My primary issue with these is that the export requires data to be exported as-is to Excel straight from a database table or view, but in many cases I require the ability to transform one or more columns (convert usernames to user full names, convert awkward datetimes to sortable-formatted datestamps, etc etc).

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

Hi Mike,

I know its a pain point that many of the applications in Appian are using Export CDT to Excel and this has to be changed now. But we have no other option as this smart service is depricated by Appian.
    I think we can use database views in your case. Please tell us what is the use case that you have. We will try to suggest you the alternative solution other than export cdt to excel.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to harishkumart

I considered database-backed solutions originally which is why I ended up going with CDT to Excel, and this is why I know I will continue needing it.

Some examples:

• Database views are not able to grab and display an Appian user's full name based on username. 
    • It's difficult or impossible to specially format datestamps in the database per certain customer requirements (one example being YYYY-MM-DD format, etc)
    • In other cases, I've had to export multiple rows where one particular cell in that row contains a list of data, separated by linebreaks, which is generated live.
    • Other column-by-column data transforms which are trivially easy in an Appian process but difficult, costly and/or impossible in a database view

For all these reasons (and more I probably haven't thought of), I believe it is a large mistake to remove the CDT to Excel smart service instead of doing what would be needed to fix the internal issue it was apparently having. 

I've talked to team leads on a few other projects and their sentiments reflect mine - not having this smart service going forward will be a significant problem for us, and will prevent us from ever upgrading the plugin past version 2.0.0.

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to harishkumart

I considered database-backed solutions originally which is why I ended up going with CDT to Excel, and this is why I know I will continue needing it.

Some examples:

• Database views are not able to grab and display an Appian user's full name based on username. 
    • It's difficult or impossible to specially format datestamps in the database per certain customer requirements (one example being YYYY-MM-DD format, etc)
    • In other cases, I've had to export multiple rows where one particular cell in that row contains a list of data, separated by linebreaks, which is generated live.
    • Other column-by-column data transforms which are trivially easy in an Appian process but difficult, costly and/or impossible in a database view

For all these reasons (and more I probably haven't thought of), I believe it is a large mistake to remove the CDT to Excel smart service instead of doing what would be needed to fix the internal issue it was apparently having. 

I've talked to team leads on a few other projects and their sentiments reflect mine - not having this smart service going forward will be a significant problem for us, and will prevent us from ever upgrading the plugin past version 2.0.0.

Children
No Data