PDF File Creation - using a PDF TEMPLATE vs. APPIAN PDFTOOLS plugin

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to create a PDF file off of a User Interface.  The UI has a  bunch of labels and text values that are populated using a record from a database table.  Not all labels are static though. Some labels change based on some other values.  It might say something like, "Finance Manager" or "Accounting Manager" based on what the record represents.  While all the text values are stored in the database, the labels are not.  (At least not yet).  This is my first attempt at creating a PDF in Appian.  Here are my questions -

1.  Is the Appian PDFTOOLS capable of handling values passed in runtime from the UI or does it only work with values like a CDT or something?  I am asking this because I want to know if the labels have to be stored in the database as well?

2.  Does it allow formatting the data like bold, italics etc. ?

3.  Can I attach an image as the 2nd and 3rd page of a document - these images are help documentation/guidelines related screenshots that I want to make part of the output PDF file.

4.  Or should I rather use a PDF TEMPLATE to create my document structure and then pass process parameters to it?  Will the TEMPLATE help me achieve 1, 2 and 3 above?  

In a nutshell I want to know if using a PDF TEMPLATE has more advantages than using the PDFTOOLS so I can justify the cost of acquiring the tool (like Adobe Acrobat Pro) to create one? I am looking for easy maintainability, less clutter in coding and more options in formatting and the ability to append static images to the end of the document. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
No Data