Combining MS Word 2007 Doc from Template and DOCX From Dynamic Template plugin

I have a template with two different formatting in it. I have fields with ###name1### ###name2### and «${doc.project.fieldName}» in the same template and I would like to use it in both MS Word 2007 Doc from Template

and DOCX From Dynamic Template plugin.  I've tried it and it didn't seem to work, not sure if it's a possible thing or if I am doing something wrong. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer

Can you use both nodes, in order?  I would use the "Doc from Template" node second, such that when you run the first node, you only need to ensure the ###name1### etc replacement keys are retained correctly. 

As a word of caution, you would need to guarantee the underlying XML of the text for the replacement keys in the generated document, exactly matches that of whatever dummy template you initially use to configure the node.  I call this out because Word tends to break up replacement keys into several formatted XML segments, and the Appian Doc from Template node has a known issue (for at least the past 5 years or so) where any differences here cause the node to not work properly for that field.

A Score Level 1
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

I did use both nodes in order starting with MS Word 2007 Doc from Template and then passing the output of the document into DOCX From Dynamic Template, and then I pass that into the PDF from Docx plugin. The final result still had the ###name1### formatting show up, but the «${doc.project.fieldName}» formatting did get converted into the actual values. I viewed the output document from MS Word 2007 Doc from Template and it worked fine too. It's just combining both is giving me an issue.  

• +1
    Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to xingc753

I assume that should work as long as you've set it up right (though i haven't tested this myself).  Can you confirm that you passed the resulting generated document from the Word 2007 Doc from Template node into the DOCX from Dynamic Template node, instead of the same template again?  I suggest you come up with a way to test more in lockstep, i.e. run JUST the first node and download the result, then come up with a separate process where you manually feed in the result of the prior run.  Try to isolate what exactly the issue is and where the disconnect is happening.

A Score Level 1
    in reply to Mike Schmitt

I put the template document as the input doc for the source document field and the output document of the first plugin as the input for existing file field. That's how I thought it would work, but I did try what you suggest and it works now. Thanks for the help.  On a separate note, the output text for «${doc.project.fieldName}» still has << >> in the document, do you know what might be causing that? 

Certified Lead Developer
    in reply to xingc753
    On a separate note, the output text for «${doc.project.fieldName}» still has << >> in the document

That one i'm not sure of, as i haven't really played around with that utility very much.  Does this only happen when the template passes through both nodes?  I guess it's possible that one of them is interpreting some of the characters incorrectly at the end.  I recommend further experimenting / troubleshooting on your end to try to isolate the exact cause.

• Hello, where can  I download the plugin for DOCX from dynamic template ? Thank you