Smarts Services Deprecated

Certified Associate Developer

If I'm using a deprecated smart services, how can I check it in my app if I'm using it? For example: Export SQL to Excel and [Deprecated] Export SQL to Excel

What would be the difference? Would you throw me any warnings or errors?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
    Certified Lead Developer

The "Export SQL to Excel" smart service is a component of Excel Tools (edit: i should say that's "the Excel Tools Plug-in", for clarity).  It (as well as "Export CDT to Excel") was deprecated several years ago with not much warning or explanation. Despite this, they still continue to work 100% functionally in modern Appian versions.

Appian has never provided a full or sufficient replacement for these nodes, IMHO - the "export DSE to excel" OOB smart service was intended to be a replacement, but has several critcal shortcomings that have never been addressed at all.  So for now, many of us are stuck using the deprecated nodes due to various use cases that require them.

If you want to find any processes that use these nodes, all you should need to do is go to the Excel Tools plug-in in your "Objects / Plug-ins" view in Designer, select the plug-in, then click "Dependents".

Certified Lead Developer

The "Export SQL to Excel" smart service is a component of Excel Tools (edit: i should say that's "the Excel Tools Plug-in", for clarity).  It (as well as "Export CDT to Excel") was deprecated several years ago with not much warning or explanation. Despite this, they still continue to work 100% functionally in modern Appian versions.

Appian has never provided a full or sufficient replacement for these nodes, IMHO - the "export DSE to excel" OOB smart service was intended to be a replacement, but has several critcal shortcomings that have never been addressed at all.  So for now, many of us are stuck using the deprecated nodes due to various use cases that require them.

If you want to find any processes that use these nodes, all you should need to do is go to the Excel Tools plug-in in your "Objects / Plug-ins" view in Designer, select the plug-in, then click "Dependents".

Children