So I'm using the Advanced Document Templating plug-in. One of the things I s

So I'm using the Advanced Document Templating plug-in. One of the things I seem to keep coming across is, when I create a string like:

"<document><value1>test</value1></document>"

I then place this string into a process variable and then feed this variable into the XML Data Model input. On the Word template side I have created a merge field in the word doc--just like the instructions explain.

OK, so I run this thing and I get back is an error. The error is:
{"error":"APNX-1-0000-000","message":"Invalid Content ID","title":"An Error Has Occurred"}

I looked into the process variables and have observed that the xml variable containing the string I created displays as:

a title="&lt;document&gt;&lt;value1&gt;test&lt;/value&gt&lt;/document&gt;

So this looks like some conversion is going on.

Anyone run into this?

OriginalPostID-197232

OriginalPostID-197232

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• The bulk of the expression looks like tohtml() was applied to it, however the beginning suggests that Appian might be trying to generate a link out of it. We use the ADT plug-in extensively and have not encountered this error. We generate our XML in a SAIL expression and simply pass it through pv!s until it reaches the ADT smart service.

I noticed you mentioned that you entered this string directly in the Process Modeler, if I understood you correctly. Maybe there is an edge case involving the Process Modeler and valid XML strings. Try to generate your XML in an Expression Rule and see if that fixes your problem.
  • Thanks for your note. I resolved it. Two things of note:
    1) it seems the Process Variables view was displaying the XML I generated as if it was run through a toHTML() function. So I was looking at a false negative on that.

2) It had nothing to do with my input, rather I had some Word merge fields which were misspelled (i.e. referencing fields which were getting passed in). So it seems this causes problems but the error message doesn't quite give me a clear indication. The lesson here is that I can pass in fields through the XML data which don't get used in the Word template but on the Word template side I can't reference any XML Data fields which haven't been passed in.