I am running into a problem with a process model every time I try to publish it.

I am running into a problem with a process model every time I try to publish it. I am getting an error that reads "There was an error in an expression in Modify Tag (node name) at null Variable(s) not found: vendortoedit (variable of type cdt)".

Let me provide a little background information:
I created this new process model from an old process model. The old PM had a variable called vendortoedit but the new PM has been modified to use a new cdt but unless I add the vendortoedit variable it will not let me publish the new process model.

I have looked everywhere and I can't see any reference to the old variable. I just hate to leave a variable that does nothing. Any help in tracking down the problem would be greatly appreciated....

OriginalPostID-88106

OriginalPostID-88106

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Have you've checked the data tab of ever node, input and output side, for vendortoedit? If you have the model saved and publish you could delete each node one by one until you no longer get that error and then reload from the earlier version and exam that node more closely.
  • You can also try doing the following in the modeler (it usually provides more detail):

1. Open your problematic model
    2. Click on the "Tools" menu -> "Validate"
    3. At the bottom of the modeler you will see the error, click on the error and see if it takes you to the problematic node.
    4. Once you open the node, if this is a task, export the form and open it with a text editor to find this variable
    5. If this is not a task you can export the model within a simple application, extract the XML of the from the ZIP and use a text editor to find the reference to vendortoedit
  • Thank you Tim & Eduardo! Step 3 above kept taking me back to the properties page for the process model. But after analyzing the error message I went to the node listed in the message. I open the form associated with the node listed in the error and exported the form. I then opened the export file in an editor and found where the variable was listed. It was a field that I had modified. It did not show any visible reference to the vendortoedit variable. I deleted the field and enter it again from scratch and it removed the error.
  • Thanks to this forum and the wonderful staff at Appian I was able to find the problem.
  • Hi
    I have a similar problem. I was using a webservice within a process model and the output was to several pvs. I have now moved the webservice to a subprocess and am returning a (non-database “temporary”) CDT. The old pv names are part of the new CDT name eg pv!carModel and CDT.carModel. I have deleted the old pvs and changed the form to reflect the new CDT fields and when I export the form the new CDT fields are there as expected. However, when I try to save I am getting a “Variable(s) not found:” message on the process model for the old pv. Looking at the exported process both the old variables and the new CDT are now listed! Is there anyway to force them to update correctly? I have tried deleting the grid where they are used on the form but this has not worked for me. Renaming the old pvs made no difference so any help would be much appreciated.
    Sue
  • Where do you see the old variables in the exported process model's XML? The XML should give you an idea on where they are referenced so you can fix it from the UI
  • Hi Eduardo,
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
    I've checked the exported XML and it appears that there is both a US (default) and GB version of the form and they are out of step, even though GB was form was not enabled. The language preference is set for GB Eng. Would the default US form get copied to a GB form even though the 'enable this language' is not checked on for the GB tab?
  • The best way to confirm whether this is the issue is to enable en_GB and click "Edit Form", export the form and see if it points to the old process variable.
  • Hi Eduardo
    I did as you suggested and it did correct the problem - thank you
    The steps I followed -
    - confirm in the exported XML that there are two versions of the form with different variables
    - In forms designer (default US version) export the default form
    - enable the GB form and edit
    - import the default form
    - save the form and the process model
    - go back to disable the GB version and save again
    - delete the old unwanted pv
    -save again
    This then worked with no mention of unfound variables!
    Any idea why it would copy the default form to the GB version - is it the language preference?