IDP vs Document Extraction Smart Services

Hello,

Recently I was provided with a requirement to extract certain data from PDF documents. The PDF documents should be extracted from a common mailbox and then few data available within the documents will have to be extracted automatically and stored in a database table. The whole process should be automated and there should not be any manual activity present within this process apart from reconciliations if any. 

After going through the documentation, I came across the inbuilt application IDP and the basic Document Extraction smart services which can perform the data extraction task. As IDP requires some manual activity, I prefer document extraction services as a better option for this requirement.

Can use Appian RPA to automate the steps required in using IDP to achieve this functionality ? Is this a better option than using the smart services ? Please suggest the best way of achieving this requirement. 

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply
  • I was able to perform the other activities using existing smart services like pdf tools, document management functionality and send email service.

My concern is whether to use IDP or Document Extraction smart service for data extraction. All I need to take is 6 fields from the PDF.

I was able to perform the extraction functionality using Start Doc Extraction smart service. Is IDP much more efficient and an ideal way to implement the functionality than appian smart service ?

Children