Hello, I have a main process which calls multiple sub-processes. Each

Hello,

I have a main process which calls multiple sub-processes. Each subprocess has multiple nodes, script tasks and interfaces.
All activities are chained, and I followed the steps here: forum.appian.com/.../Configuring_Activity-Chaining.html

I want all the SAIL interfaces to show a "Go Back" button, even though the interfaces are in different sub-processes. How can I do this?

Thanks in advance,

OriginalPostID-194370

OriginalPostID-194370

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi, Set an input and output parameter for each subprocess for eg. nextAction_int. It may take several values according to your screens. Now, have a XOR gateway which will redirect to respective subprocess according to value in nextAction_int process variable. Let me know if that helps. Thanks!
  • The "Previous Button" in that context is for Portal forms. For SAIL interfaces you will need to create the button yourself (forum.appian.com/.../SAIL_Components.html. You can set the button up to "submit" the form and pass out a value/flag you can use to route your workflows. In order to "go back" to a parent process, you can utilize XORs to end the sub-process early if the user clicks Previous/Go Back. Once back on the parent process, you can reroute back to the previous interface.

I might also suggest utilizing SAIL to create a step-by-step wizard to cut down on activity chaining. (forum.appian.com/.../SAIL_Recipes.html
  • @ricardoc Hi, to the best of my knowledge you should be handling the 'Go back' functionality manually. That is, add a button component (for instance, say 'Go Back') in the SAIL form, capture the action in a variable, so that when you submit the form, the variable should let you know that you want to navigate back in the process. Once when the form is submitted, use a gateway and navigate to the desired location (which could be a immediate task in the same process or a task in any other subprocess at any level).

Also as far as I know, 'Previous' button feature isn't available in SAIL forms but it is available in Portal and Tempo forms.

And re the chaining, you can chain to any location (that is, an immediate task in the same process, or a task in different process etc) but we need to remember the constraints laid down by Appian with respect to activity chaining. There are few good points at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/7.10/Configuring_Activity-Chaining.html#Breaking_a_Chain which will specify these constraints and also let us know an alternate design in case if we aren't able to provide chaining.
  • Hello,

I am able to display a Go Back button in SAIL Forms which are inside the same process, as you can see from the images below.

My problem is displaying the "Go Back" button, with all its associated features between interfaces which are in different sub-processes of the same process.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

• Hi ricardoc, as suggested by omkark, one way to achieve this through the button value been captured from an output parameter from sub process node, and then use an XOR gate to navigate appropriately.
  • We handle all navigation manually as there have been many restrictions to the OOTB 'Allow users to step back..' functionality. One major drawback is that you cannot use this to return back across a sub process, which may be your issue here.
  • @ricardoc The option 'Allow users to step back to this node from the next chained activity' shown by you in the images might not be influencing the 'Go Back' feature in your case, provided if you are making use of SAIL forms.

I would like to suggest to control the navigation manually by making use of flags (that is, variables that keeps track of the action made) and further route to the desired destination by making use of gateways and connectors.

Further I also assume that the sub-processes in the different process undergoes sequential execution. Else the suggestions made above might not be of any help to you as per my knowledge(Off-course, there is no place for chaining in this scenario).