The process model is invalid 16.3

Hello all,

It has come to my attention that the validation in process models has become worse than previous Appian versions. I remember when the messages were meaningful indicating real errors that needed attention.

Now during designing process models the only message we get is the message: "The process is invalid". Well yeah this is not helpful. To make matters worse, an invalid process model cannot be saved, so you might have to lose a day's work, even if the origin of the error is on a sail interface, you cannot save the process model.

Is there any other way in fixing those "The process is invalid" errors?

OriginalPostID-246241

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    Not that I'm aware of. First things to check are as you sail interfaces or if you've deleted any variables. In terms of losing a days work I assume you save your process models more than once a day
  • Most of the time I have run into this situation it has turned out to be a task escalation expression problem, so I save more often now when adding escalations.
  • @vasilisg Not an elegant one, but might be worth reverting to previous working version (in case if the interface already has working versions) or saving the definition of interface with value as null (in case if the interface has no working versions and is being built newly) for the time-being so that you can save the PM and don't need to loose the work and then you can resume the work on last but one version of the interface post saving PM. I have seen this error at times, but I didn't check if it neglects the changes made to PM in case if the interface has got any issues.
  • One related point as @rodgraham mentioned - If the user input tasks are using SAIL forms, and if any of the interfaces used in those SAIL forms have some error - the process model would not be allowed to publish. Also, tracking down such an error can be difficult and time-consuming because the error message is sometimes not very specific.

I have come across a scenario where the SAIL interfaces showed no error when I created them in the Interface designer, but when I mapped them to the user input tasks in the process model, I got an error, and it took quite a long time to track it. Also, you cannot save the process model in this situation.