Browsing rules by folder in /design?

Certified Senior Developer

Now that the rules tab is gone from /designer, we have lost the critical capability of browsing for rules, constants, and interfaces by folder. Yes, you can view folder contents in /design and navigate if you first search for the folder object and then open it, but this is a very poor experience for discoverability and browsing. Designers should be able to navigate and browse for their rules/constants/interfaces without first needing to know and specifically search for the name of the top-level rules folder for an application.

Is there a way to do this in 17.4+? If not, can this please be added as an enhancement request?

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Certified Lead Developer
    jasonr411,

If the main concern is browsing and searching objects without having to know the top level folder, you can always utilize the search function in /design. Inside the application view, you can filter your search by interface, expression rule, etc. and further search by name/description using the search bar.
    The search function is not useful for this, as if you do not know the name of the top level folder, you cannot search for it. (If there are a lot of folders, filtering by "folder" object type isn't very useful either - it doesn't even let you specify only "rules folders", but includes document folders and process model folders). The old /designer interface made browsing by folder very simple, and now this functionality has been removed without a viable replacement.
  • Hi Jason,

There are breadcrumbs in the title section of each folder view in Appian Designer that indicates the hierarchy of the folder you are viewing. The leftmost folder name is the top-level folder. If you cannot find a top-level folder by searching in the application designer, drilling into any folder and using the hierarchy breadcrumbs should get you to where you need to go.

You can see them in the images on this page: docs.appian.com/.../Folder_Hierarchies_in_Appian_Designer.html

in reply to Kevin Gajewski
    Thanks Kevin, however I am aware of the breadcrumbs to navigate back up the hierarchy if you search for and open a folder somewhere under the hierarchy. And if I know the name of the top-level folder, I can even open that in /design. What I am asking for is a listing of all the folders that are at the top of that hierarchy (as seen when you clicked on the old "Rules" tab in /designer), so that I can then use that hierarchy to navigate downwards. This does not appear to currently exist in /design, despite the rules tab removal from /designer, so I think an enhancement request should be put in.

Thanks!