I have a process model in which I use Export DSE to Excel smart shape 2 times in a row. In 1st shape I want to export a set of data to sheet 1, starting cell A4. In 2nd shape I want to export a set of data to sheet 1, starting cell AA4. After 1st shape, the exported file looks good. After 2nd shape all data exported by 1st are removed and only data from 2nd shape are present.
Can you help me understand why is this so? Not sure if this is a problem with my solution, platform defect, or an intention to complete remove the rows before exporting to them.
Can you share screenshots of your configurations for both EDSEtE nodes?
Hopefully a description will be fine.
Both smart shapes run successfully. When I check the document after 1st shape, columns A4..AX4 have values. When I check the document after 2nd shape, columns AY4..CB4 have values, but values from A4..AX4 are removed. Any static values entered in rows 1..3 are kept and not removed. It almost looks like whenever the smart shape is called, it get the starting cell and completely wipes whole row before writing the data.
To somehow proof that I don't have a logical error I tried a scenario where 2nd smart shape export to 2nd sheet. In such case all the data were successfully there.
Can you confirm that the first smart service is saving the document back into the pv!local!Template_doc variable? I'm not sure how much of a difference this might make but there might be some issue with the document versioning not playing nice with the second call of the smart service.
Also, if the above doesn't help at all, then purely for debugging purposes I'd try setting the second smart service's Starting Cell to something like "A20", and see what happens - whether it continues apparently overwriting the earlier-written data or not. I suggest this as a way of removing doubt as to whether the issue is a row conflict versus a column conflict, or something else.
As far as I know, there's a chance that this is just a shortcoming of the EDSEtE node - which (in my experience) is not very good at handling writing into a pre-existing Excel file, be it a template or just adding onto a previously created one.
Yes, 1st smart shape is saving back to the document provided to update, via AC parameters. I tested it w/o, didn't make any difference honestly.
When I set the starting cell couple rows down for the 2nd smart shape, then it does not erase data inserted by 1st smart shape.
Miroslav said:When I set the starting cell couple rows down for the 2nd smart shape, then it does not erase data inserted by 1st smart shape
Honestly this indicates a bug to me. Followup question - if you insert the 2nd set of data only a few columns to the right (so like, H4 instead of AY4), does it still destroy the first data inserted? The reason I ask this is because I want to make sure it's just an issue with rows conflicting, versus the smart service potentially getting confused when the starting column begins with 2 letters instead of 1 letter.
If it still behaves the same way when you try this, then I'd suggest just going ahead and opening a support case with Appian describing the results you're getting, as (one way or another) it appears to be a bug with the EDSEtE smart service.
It does the same thing, erases whole row to which it writes data.
I did raise a ticket for the support to look at. Thanks for help. Once I get a feedback from support I will update this thread.
Thanks. I also have a feature request open with Appian to get this smart service updated to accept an incoming Template file (similar to how Export SQL to Excel works), without clearing out all formatting (and without needing to manually create a copy of an existing document first) - I'm hopeful that this fix might failitate that update (though not very optimistic).
Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible
© 2020 Appian. All rights reserved.