We are currently running on 7.9 & I'm trying to fetch data from a table

We are currently running on 7.9 & I'm trying to fetch data from a table using a simple query rule to fetch all details as in SELECT * from TABLE. When I try to do that, I get the following error:

Interface Definition: Expression evaluation error in rule 'fetchAllDetails' at function 'queryruleexec': Error evaluating function 'queryruleexec' : Unexpected error executing query (type: [ACTPREJobDT954], query: [fetchAllDetails], order by: [[]], filters:[null])

Later on I discovered that a particular column of type NUMBER(38,0) (In Appian as well in Database is the same) has a value of '678766787323'. When I changed this value in DB to 8 digits or lesser than that, the query rule works fine, else it displays an error. The log says, it is a 'Numeric Overflow'.We have a Customer requirement to get the data from a different portal and display in Appian. So, if this is the case, how do I achieve this?

I also found a similar post for this ...

numeric-overflow.log

OriginalPostID-157638

OriginalPostID-157638

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• ...issue, but the solution doesn't work for me:

forum.appian.com/.../b-48863

Any thoughts.... ??
  • Caused by: org.hibernate.exception.GenericJDBCException: could not execute query
    at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.handledNonSpecificException(SQLStateConverter.java:140)
    at org.hibernate.exception.SQLStateConverter.convert(SQLStateConverter.java:128)
    at com.appiancorp.rdbms.hb.HbSqlExceptionConverter.convert(HbSqlExceptionConverter.java:95)
    at org.hibernate.exception.JDBCExceptionHelper.convert(JDBCExceptionHelper.java:66)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2536)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listIgnoreQueryCache(Loader.java:2276)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:2271)
    at org.hibernate.loader.criteria.CriteriaLoader.list(CriteriaLoader.java:119)
    at org.hibernate.impl.SessionImpl.list(SessionImpl.java:1716)
    at org.hibernate.impl.CriteriaImpl.list(CriteriaImpl.java:347)
    at com.appiancorp.type.external.teneoimpl.EntityQueryHandler$4.call(EntityQueryHandler.java:93)
    at com.appiancorp.type.external.teneoimpl.EntityQueryHandler$4.call(EntityQueryHandler.java:90)
    at com.appiancorp.type.external.teneoimpl.TimedWorkRunner.run(TimedWorkRunner.java:52)
    ... 265 more
    Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: Numeric Overflow
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.NumberCommonAccessor.throwOverflow(NumberCommonAccessor.java:4381)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.NumberCommonAccessor.getInt(NumberCommonAccessor.java:112)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSetImpl.getInt(OracleResultSetImpl.java:942)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleResultSet.getInt(OracleResultSet.java:438)
    at org.jboss.jca.adapters.jdbc.WrappedResultSet.getInt(WrappedResultSet.java:1073)
    at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.sql.IntegerTypeDescriptor$2.doExtract(IntegerTypeDescriptor.java:61)
    at org.hibernate.type.descriptor.sql.BasicExtractor.extract(BasicExtractor.java:64)
    at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.nullSafeGet(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:253)
    at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.nullSafeGet(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:249)
    at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.nullSafeGet(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:229)
    at org.hibernate.type.AbstractStandardBasicType.hydrate(AbstractStandardBasicType.java:330)
    at org.hibernate.persister.entity.AbstractEntityPersister.hydrate(AbstractEntityPersister.java:2283)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.loadFromResultSet(Loader.java:1527)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.instanceNotYetLoaded(Loader.java:1455)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.getRow(Loader.java:1355)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.getRowFromResultSet(Loader.java:611)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:829)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:274)
    at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2533)
    ... 273 more
  • That means the size of the data inside the column is bigger than what your XSD is declaring. Make sure you have the right @ColumnDefinition annotation with the right length for that column.
  • This is what I have declared in my XSD:

<xsd:appinfo source="appian.jpa">@Column(name="LAST_COUNT", columnDefinition="NUMBER(38,0)")</xsd:appinfo>

Even in DB its the same!
  • Could it be your data store needs to be updated to point to the latest version of the CDT?
  • I have double checked the XSDs and recreated the tables...But still the issue persists when retrieving and displaying in Appian.... ! Any idea what could be the problem? or is this the Appian default behaviour, for values that contains more than 9 digits, even after the Column Definition is declared more than 9??
  • Have you tried identifying the column in your CDT as 'NUMBER' vs 'NUMBER(38,0)' ?
  • Yes.... And the table gets created as declared in the XSD. Data from External system is fed into Appian DB and displayed . While retrieving the data I get an error and its only because the value of the 'LAST_COUNT' column is greater than 9 digits. When I reduce the number of digits, it works fine!

This is how the column was declared:

<xsd:element name="lastCount" nillable="true" type="xsd:int">
    <xsd:annotation>
    <xsd:appinfo source="appian.jpa">@Column(name="LAST_COUNT", columnDefinition="NUMBER(38,0)")</xsd:appinfo>
    </xsd:annotation>
    </xsd:element>
  • I was just wondering if there was any difference by removing the "(38,0)" specification from the XSD snippet you posted above, such as:

<xsd:element name="lastCount" nillable="true" type="xsd:int">
    <xsd:annotation>
    <xsd:appinfo source="appian.jpa">@Column(name="LAST_COUNT", columnDefinition="NUMBER")</xsd:appinfo>
    </xsd:annotation>
    </xsd:element>
  • AFAIK, when you have a declaration, it can allow a max of upto the limit declared within the datatype.