We are currently performing maintenance on Appian Community. As a result, discussions posts and replies are temporarily unavailable. We appreciate your patience.

#SAIL. Is there a way to display three dropdowns (day, month and year) for a!dat

#SAIL. Is there a way to display three dropdowns (day, month and year) for a!dateField() ? a!dateField() displays calendar on SAIL forms and is defaulted to current month and year. But when it is used for Date Of Birth, user have to click many times to get their year of birth and then the month of birth. I know that the user can key in the DOB in dd/mm/yyyy format but some users are not aware and therefore end up clicking many times !!!

OriginalPostID-168620

OriginalPostID-168620

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• I am not aware of any way to do this using the a!dateField() component itself. However, you could configure multiple dropdowns where the user selects their birth month, day, and year as text; you can then convert this to a date using the todate() function on form submit or whenever it is appropriate. todate() accepts input in a "mm/dd/yyyy" format similar to manually entering a date in an a!dateField() component.
    forum.appian.com/.../Conversion_Functions.html
  • You could use separate drop downs for each of day/month/year and then simply save those selected values into a date variable using the todate() function.
  • Also, as an alternative to what was suggested above, you could simply provide instruction text in the a!dateField() component telling the user that they should input their DOB in a "mm/dd/yyyy" format.
  • A workaround that you could use is you could add an integer/drop down field above the date picker with its own rule input for year (ri!year), then for the a!dateField object, set the value to the following expression:

if(isnull(ri!year),{},if(isnull(ri!date), date(ri!year, month(today()), day(today())), ri!date))

This will leave the date field null if no value is given for the year field and won't produce an error in your interface, but once a value in the integer/drop down field is given, end users will be taken directly to the month of today's date in that year so they won't have to click too much for a date.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to add instructions to the date picker so end users know they can manually type in a date.

Where exactly do you want to see the drop down? Inside of the date picker or above the date picker in another field?
  • Thank you patrick, nick and robbie for your suggestions. I guess, I can propose the idea of having instructions. By the way, you had proposed that we can display three separate text dropdowns to capture day, month and year and then convert to date but displaying the three dropdowns one below the other is not ideal (ideal would be to display them next to each other which SAIL does not allow) !!!
  • Hi Nick, thanks for the suggestions. I can run through it to client and check if they are ok with it.

Requirement is to have three dropdowns next to each other, so if there is a way to show the dropdowns inside date picker, it is well and good else we may have to get rid of date picker and just display three dropdowns one below the other !!!