Issue with skipAutoFocus not recognizing values

Has anyone come across a problem with skipAutoFocus where it is not recognising the value?
We have a formLayout which in the firstColumnContents calls a rule which sets up most of the form from form components which are passed into the rule as parameters. The rule first displays a sectionLayout to ask if the user wishes to continue and if yes then shows the form components.
Setting skipAutoFocus: true() just outside the firstColumnContents in the formLayout does not seem to work.
Does anyone know how to get around this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.

Appian Forum skipautofocus problem.txt

OriginalPostID-195456

OriginalPostID-195456

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• Hi Suem,
    This field "skipAutoFocus" is available from v7.11 . Please crosscheck which version you are using. And the first component in a form should meet following conditions.
    form forum Notes, Focus will automatically be applied on initial load to the first component in a form that meets the following conditions:
    The component is one of the following: checkbox, decimal, dropdown, encrypted text, integer, paragraph, radio button, text
    The component is neither read-only nor disabled
    The component is not in an initially collapsed section
  • @suem As per my understanding, setting the 'skipAutoFocus' attribute to true disables the Auto Focus feature. Off-course, the same setting has been included at line #27 in the code snippet attached by you. So, the Auto Focus feature has been disabled in the interface as per your coding and you don't need to worry about the conditions of the Auto Focus as mentioned above.

To the best of my knowledge, your version is Appian v7.11. Do you wish to utilise the AutoFocus feature? If so, I think the comments made by other practitioner holds valid only whe n you remove the statement at line #27(that is, skipAutoFocus: true()). (Note: The default value of skipAutoFocus is false, so you don't need to set the value of 'skipAutoFocus' to false explicitly.)
  • Hi Sikhi, Yes we do want to disable the autofocus to display the top of the form where the instructions for the user are displayed. Even with skipAutoFocus: true() it ignores it and shows the lower half of the screen where the users inputs are located so that they then have to scroll back up to see the instructions. It appears to be ignoring the settings!
  • @suem To the best of my knowledge, the experience which you have been sharing with us, isn't related to Auto Focus. Auto Focus when enabled, just places the cursor in a component (provided if all the conditions as mentioned in the documentation are satisfied) automatically upon the form load.

And when you disable the feature it won't have any effect on the interface, that is, you can see that a cursor won't be present on the form in any component automatically when the form loads. This is the indication that the corresponding feature isn't enabled in the interface. Please do let us know if you are able to see a cursor being placed in a component automatically upon the form load.

I suspect that you are experiencing a behavior as discussed at /search?q=OriginalPostID-123447, so I would like to suggest to go through the post once if possible.

Please do let us know your thoughts.
  • That does seem to be the behaviour. I'll try and find an older long form which is set up in the same way.
  • @suem If possible, try to record the video (for instance, you may use Jing at www.techsmith.com/download/jing/ to do so) so that the community can share their thoughts further about the same.
  • Hi Sikhi, sorry for the delay in replying. It will take a while to get permission to use jing so I may have to just give screen shots instead! I'll try to do shortly.