Appian Usage Insights

Overview

Gain insights into your Appian usage with an application suite specifically designed to cater for complex environment topologies and heterogenous license contracts.

Key Features & Functionality

With ‘Appian Usage Insights’:

• Model your license contracts in the application through configuration only - no additional development required!
  • Cater for Cloud, self-managed or a mix of installation topologies.
  • Designed with the enterprise in mind, support large numbers of Appian environments, user accounts and keep track of license consumption over time.
  • Model your internal license usage using license pools mapped to user-definable business entities.
  • Visualize usage the way you want to:
    • Usage by business entity.
    • Usage by license type.
    • License pool membership.
    • License pool logins.
    • License pool membership (which user is in which license pool and, ultimately, which one consumes an actual license).
    • Logins by user (over time).
    • Capacity planning (allocated license count over time).

For more information, see https://community.appian.com/w/the-appian-playbook/2198/appian-usage-insights-faqs

Usage of this application does not permit your organization to exceed its licensed usage requirements. Your organization is required to maintain compliance with your licensing terms, and report any non-compliance to Appian per the terms of your organization’s contract with Appian.

Anonymous
  • Hi! Please see my responses below...

1) Business entities are a fairly flexible concept that allows you to model usage in the most appropriate way for your business. A standard approach - that allows an overview at business unit level, while allowing visibility on a per-app level too - would be to configure Business entities as your organisation's larger business units, and then model the apps that belong to those business units as entity licence pools. For this you would create one or more licence types per app.

For example, you might configure "Finance" as a business unit, create "Fin App1 Enterprise Users", "Fin App2 Enterprise Users" and "Fin App3 Enterprise Users" as licence types, and map those to the Finance business entity by creating an entity licence pool for each within the Finance business entity. For each of those entity licence pools, you configure the groups that allow you to identify users of each of those apps (so the entity licence pool for "Fin App1 Enterprise Users" might include the group "Fin App1 All Users", for instance).

When you find users that still end up in the Default entity, it's because you haven't mapped a group for them in your Business Entity - Licence Pool structure. The aim is to end up with no one left in the Default pool, so you know you have configured things correctly. This can take several iterations.

• Just to clarify my question 3), I have set up the constant value of LMA_DC_INTEGER_LOGINS_INITIAL_HISTORY_HORIZON to 365, and made sure the value for LMA_DC_BOOLEAN_IS_FIRST_EXECUTION was true and the value of LMA_DC_DATE_LAST_RUN_DATE was null.

Thanks.

• Hi,

This application looks great! I have a few questions regarding this application to better understand how to set it up better:

1) Do you have examples or scenarios on how to set up the business entities? I am trying to better understand Business Entities as I have a couple of groups that are linked to the Default value.

2) It is great that we link business entities to groups, but I was wondering if there is any way to link users as I have users from different business entities that are part of the same user group object (per design of BP based on roles).

3)  It seems that the data collections app ran the information for the last month only. How do I configure it to gather information for the last year? Not sure if I am missing anything here. For example, in the reports app if I select to see Logins by User or Usage Reports, it only shows for the last month. ( I know I have logged into Appian every month).

4) How can I export the reports?

Thank you in advance.

Roberta

• AUI Collector Process Docs.zip

Hi Mark, here's a documentation export of the 2 Collector process models.

• We need to run the 'Collector' app on version 18.4+, the process models do not show up when downgraded. Can you post the docs for all process maps?

• What are the chances of getting a version for Oracle RDBMS?

• v1.0.1 Release Notes
    • Reporting: Performance enhancements
    • Steps to upgrade Reporting app from previous version:
    • See /documentation/Upgrade Notes.txt
  • Thanks for pointing this out. The install doc will be updated in the next version (coming soon).

• Hi, I found the required plugin. We just need to update the documentation. The name of the cloud plugin is - "Appian Usage Insights Collection"

• This is awesome. I am trying to use this app in Cloud, However, I am not finding this plugin - "Licence Management data collection
    plugin" anywhere in the plugin section. Does this App is available for Cloud users?