Is there a way to allow the users to access only the appian sites page and restr

Is there a way to allow the users to access only the appian sites page and restrict access to other tabs in tempo?
I have a scenario wherein the users are supposed to access only the apian sites for the purpose of completing the tasks assigned to them and should not be able access to news, records, reports and actions.

OriginalPostID-198646

OriginalPostID-198646

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @jayanthik Afaik one of the ways of doing it is mentioned in the documentation already as follows at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/16.1/Sites.html#Actions_and_Task_Reports:

"In order to keep users within a site and not navigate them to Tempo, avoid the use of record links and news entry links in sites."

Probably you can achieve the above mentioned behavior by tailoring the interface based on the condition that if the logged in user belongs to a custom group which SOLELY depends on Sites.

Let's see if the community can let you know better solution than what I have suggested.
  • I already went through the documentation. my question is different. The users are external to the application and i want to restrict the users even from accessing the tempo URL directly which would give them access to other tabs. Say for e.g. if basic user tries to access the designer URL, it throws an 400 error.
  • Hi Jayanthik
    There is no OOB functionality wherein basic users can have an access to site and they can be restricted to navigate to tempo or designer interface via urls.

However one of the work around which you can adopt is - as you mentioned that users are external to application you need to create their user accounts on the fly once any tasks are assigned to them (provide them the site link via email ). Once the user completes the task by picking that up from the site page and complete it - your process needs to deactivate the user account.

PS: This will allow you to restrict the users to navigate to tempo or designer if they have no tasks assigned in the system.
    However, the duration of time task sits in user queue user will be able to navigate in which case you need to put the security layer in place where in the user access to site should just be seeing tempo with no entries in any of the news records reports and tempo. Hope this helps.
  • I was having this approach as my last option if there is no OOB functionality to restrict it. thanks for confirming.
  • Hi Jayanthik,We can configure User Start Pages(Default lending page) in Appian for a group. For that we need site URL and Appian group.
    We can configure it at Admin mode(can be accessed by https://domain/suite/admin)
    If you didn't provide any tempo link on your site or assigned task, They were anable to access Tempo. For security purpose you can update record or Action visibility.
  • @jayanthik Afaik there isn't any such possibility apart from controlling the interface to refrain from displaying the links that make the User to navigate to one of the five tabs in Tempo Interface.

And you might be aware of this, but to reiterate, you can make the Site as the User Start Page for those users whose work is solely dependent on Sites.

I see that few approaches such as on the fly accounts creation, deactivation etc are being suggested but I would like to suggest to give thoughts over it or discuss with an architect as I personally opine that it's not a right or suggested way of doing things. My suggestion would be to educate the Users about the Tempo interface if possible, as it's a standard way of accessing Appian objects by the end user. Else making a Site (that consists of task report) as start page for users whose work doesn't require standard Tempo interface (5 tabs) should do the work until and unless the user doesn't try to navigate by constructing the url manually.
  • As long as explicitly constructing an url by the user to navigate to the tempo interface is something which can be live with - then making site page to intended group(s) as the landing page should be accepted.
    Creating/Deactivating of user account on the fly is a "hack" if the above is something which needs to be handled/managed rigidly.