CDT vs Record Type

Hi,

I am very new to Appian and i am going through some of the courses, which i think are very helpful.

I am reading and learning about CDT and Record Type. They look similar to me but i am sure there is something that i am missing. When would you use one vs another (example)? Appreciate your help and comments as i navigate and learn Appian.

Thank you!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents
  • The other explanations are great, but I also have a quick rule of thumb:

• Use a record type when viewing / displaying data
    • Use a CDT when editing / inserting data
    Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Hi Peter, Is the above statement still valid, as we can insert/ edit data through record actions? Can we restrict CDT usage per the below guideline? And, between then and now, what is the difference between editing/inserting data with CDT vs Record types?

"However, there are some cases where you may need to use custom data types (CDTs) in addition to your record types:

A record type that does not have data sync enabled, so you need to connect to the source using a data store entity.
    You use a data type plug-in to define a CDT as a Java object.
    You create a custom document type for use with intelligent document processing. The document's fields are represented with a CDT.
    Your process model includes an Export Data Store Entity to Excel or Export Data Store Entity to CSV smart service node. Data store entities require a CDT as part of their configuration "

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Hi Peter, Is the above statement still valid, as we can insert/ edit data through record actions? Can we restrict CDT usage per the below guideline? And, between then and now, what is the difference between editing/inserting data with CDT vs Record types?

"However, there are some cases where you may need to use custom data types (CDTs) in addition to your record types:

A record type that does not have data sync enabled, so you need to connect to the source using a data store entity.
    You use a data type plug-in to define a CDT as a Java object.
    You create a custom document type for use with intelligent document processing. The document's fields are represented with a CDT.
    Your process model includes an Export Data Store Entity to Excel or Export Data Store Entity to CSV smart service node. Data store entities require a CDT as part of their configuration "

Children