CDT vs Record Type

Hi,

I am very new to Appian and i am going through some of the courses, which i think are very helpful.

I am reading and learning about CDT and Record Type. They look similar to me but i am sure there is something that i am missing. When would you use one vs another (example)? Appreciate your help and comments as i navigate and learn Appian.

Thank you!

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

Parents Reply Children
    Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Hi Peter, Is the above statement still valid, as we can insert/ edit data through record actions? Can we restrict CDT usage per the below guideline? And, between then and now, what is the difference between editing/inserting data with CDT vs Record types?

"However, there are some cases where you may need to use custom data types (CDTs) in addition to your record types:

A record type that does not have data sync enabled, so you need to connect to the source using a data store entity.
    You use a data type plug-in to define a CDT as a Java object.
    You create a custom document type for use with intelligent document processing. The document's fields are represented with a CDT.
    Your process model includes an Export Data Store Entity to Excel or Export Data Store Entity to CSV smart service node. Data store entities require a CDT as part of their configuration "

• The statement above is no longer comprehensive, since now it is possible to also write data via records. The section you linked above from the "Working with Data in Appian" document is the latest recommendation. In general you can complete most activites using both Records and CDTs, but I recommend using records where possible because they are easier to manage and have specific benefits that CDTs don't (like being able to update a subset of fields).

For others who come across this post, the best information about the current state of records and CDTs is available here: https://docs.appian.com/suite/help/latest/working-with-data-in-appian.html

Also just a general suggestion - posts more than a year old are often out of date since we frequently update our product to continuously improve! If you have questions, it's usually better to create a new post instead of responding to existing posts Slight smile

Certified Associate Developer
    in reply to Peter Lewis

Thank you Peter for sharing the knowledge link. Earlier, I was referring only to CDT Design Guidance. This document has really covered how and when to use all the Data objects.