I'm looking for a way to cancel a "batch" of process instances.

I'm looking for a way to cancel a "batch" of process instances. In an older version (6.7) we had a smart service "Cancel Process", that I believe was part of the Process_Management_Services_1.0.0.jar. Is anyone using that plugin in v7.11? I wanted to check before adding it my 7.11 install since it has been awhile since the plugin has been uppdated

OriginalPostID-190469

OriginalPostID-190469

Discussion posts and replies are publicly visible

• @bryant.st Though there has been a change in the version, I don't think there will be a problem as the basic API functions won't change that frequently. You too can come to a conclusion by inspecting the plugin code and it's quiet simple.

I have an experience of rigorously using this plugin on 7.10 and there aren't any issues till date.

If you want to explore additional options, please take a look at the following:
    1. Comments made by Nick Vigilante at https://forum.appian.com/suite/tempo/entry/e-168825. This is completely an OOTB approach and you don't need to worry about the compatibility, as we do in the case of plugin.
    2. Second point mentioned by @chetany at https://forum.appian.com/suite/tempo/entry/e-164406. This was just an idea and you could have an idea of your own.
  • I've used the process to process messaging before but wanted that to be a last resort...Thanks for you input regarding plugin usage in 7.10.
  • Hi Sikhivahans. I am using "Cancel Processes" pulgin in one of my process model. Its working for some of the users and for some users its failing throwing an error as "The user [<userid>] does not have sufficient privileges to perform the requested action." . Is there any limitation? Thanks..!
  • @sreerajm The error messages suggest that the user doesn't have sufficient privileges on the process. Would you please be able to let us know the roles of user (as per process security role map) in the processes in which the cancel process has failed? If you can let us know with few examples of your case, the community can guide you accordingly.

Just to let you know, as per my knowledge, it's not a limitation but its intention is to perform a particular action against the process only when the user holds the sufficient privileges against the process.

A work around is, you can always run the smart service under the context of Administrator and in this approach, you won't come across such privilege issues.
  • All are basic users. There is functionality assigning tasks. This is doing based on the instances. One task = one instance. If a task is assigned to XXX, then a user can reassign the XXX task to YYY. When the task is assigned to YYY, I am cancelling the XXX instance (Task which is in XXX user bucket), because that XXX user task should not be required as that task is assigned to YYY. While doing this functionality I am getting the privilege issue for some users. Thanks.!
  • @sreerajm Understood, may I please know what role(i.e. Process Administrator/Editor/Manager/Viewer/Initiator) does XXX play in the process?

Just in case, if you aren't aware, you can check the security of the process as mentioned under 'Updating Security Settings for a Running Process' section at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/16.1/Configuring_Process_Security.html.

Ideally the privilege required to perform the operation as desired by you is 'Process Administrator' as per my knowledge. You can understand this by seeing the table 'Making Process Edits' at https://forum.appian.com/suite/help/16.1/Configuring_Process_Security.html which specifies that 'Stop or pause a process' action can be taken only by 'Process Administrator'. In short, XXX can cancel the operation if and only if XXX is 'Process Administrator' of that process.

Else you can cancel the process under 'Administrator' context, and you doesn't need to bother about privileges in this case.

Please do let me know if you have any follow-up questions and I would be happy to answer for you.
  • All the XX and YY users are in a group and this group configured int he process model with Viewer Privileges.If i make it to Editor Privilege,will it works?
  • @sreerajm As said earlier, configure the group in the 'Process Administrator' role, as it is the only role that has got the capability to stop the process as per the security role map mentioned in the documentation.

As per my knowledge, Editor might not be able to cancel the process, anyhow perform simple tests prior to coming to a conclusion.